Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
bb10usr
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

z10 BBM account not associated with Blackberry ID email address

BBM was operating just fine until yesterday afternoon. I began receiving "BBM setup" prompt. The Blackberry ID is not being recognized which then throws an "email address not vaild" prompt. Then there is a "Temporary Server" error.

I have edited and adjusted my Blackberry ID as well as resetting the password. These changes seem to make it to the device itself, as indicated in the Settings/Blackberry ID field.

IF my contacts BBM me, I do see the entry in HUB (first line only). IF i try to reply, the BBM setup screen launches again - only to fail on the email address associated with the BB ID. All other BB services seem to be working fine.

It is disappointing to have issues like this with flagship software on a brand new device.

Any ideas on a fix for this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bb10usr

Re: z10 BBM account not associated with Blackberry ID email address

Follow up - It appears Article ID: KB33652 is similar. Here, the article indicates the following resolution:

This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bb10usr

[ Edited ]

This issue has been resolved.

According to my provider, BB acknowledged an issue on Sat and a patch was in place this morning.

To restore BBM association with Blackberry ID, I followed these steps.

Step 1: Turn off WiFi

Step 2:

a) Go to settings

b) Select "About"

c) Select Network form Category

d) Select Menu (three dots bottom right)

e) Select "register for blackberry services"

f) Re-launch BBM

While I couldn't initially "restore using email", I WAS able to "continue" (while in the BBM setup screens). The prompt indicated that I would not be able to access my existing contacts. I "continued" at the prompting of the tech support and all is OK now.

Step 3: Turn WiFi back on

Back in business!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gadget206
My Carrier: Bell

Mine is exactly the same.  BBM quit working last Thursday night - Bell is tired of hearing from me on a daily basis!

They say it is a Blackberry issue, and they are supposed to be working on it, but three of my friends with Z10s in various parts of the province of Ontario say theirs are working just fine and they never had an outage!

So what's up with ours??

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gadget206

DId you loose all your previous contacts doing this?

I would like to avoid having to track everyone down and re-load them!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bb10usr

I did not lose my contacts but my carrier support could not confirm prior to executing the above steps.

I believe the reason your carrier is handing off to Blackberry on this is because the Blackberry ID is managed by Blackberry, not the carrier (I am not 100% on this). As such, they can't authenticate the BBID. That can be handled directly by the user here: http://ca.blackberry.com/bbid.html. Permission issues are always a pain.

IF BBM won't behave following the solution that worked for me, I would call your carrier one more time and ask them to escalate the service tag to Blackberry. Without the service tag, its tough to get action. This allows the carrier to hand you off and creates the support trail needed for effective resolution. Push to get the service tag.

In my experience on this, there was enough "grey area" for all support techs involved that Blackberry would be well suited to increase the knowledge base/training/support  to provide a smoother resolution. When support tells the user that the main messaging platform, for the top end device, won't function and "there is nothing we can do about it", I believe the user has not been serviced appropriately.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bb10usr

Hopefully a final update to this thread.... When I posted the original response to the question "did you lose contacts?", my contacts were still in BBM contacts. That was yesterday.

This afternoon, those contacts were gone and I did have to re-invite existing contacts. I am guessing that there was a refresh somewhere along the chain. So, it appears this solution will cause you to have to rebuild the BBM contacts.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gadget206

oh **bleep** - that's what I was trying desperately to avoid

call BB support again this morning - some work fine - some don't - - no solution in sight for some of us they say..??

talked to my local Bell store - they say they have numerous trouble tickets in as well, but not getting any sort of help or answer either

starting to wonder......

Please use plain text.
anisharao
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Help

I have tried the steps that you have said and inspite of that my bbm isnt working. Could you please help me out with it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timi_ayeni
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: MTN

I followed your steps (click on "continue" rather than "restore with email") but it cleared all my contacts. what do i do to restore the contacts

Please use plain text.