Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9650 OS6 (primary), Curve 8530 OS5

App Lock 3.0 - Buyer beware!

Several days ago I purchased App Lock 3.0 to lock apps, files etc. on my device. I used it on several apps and it was great, had no problems to speak of. BUT I also used it to lock files on my device memory as well as my SD card and that's where the problems started.

I quickly realized that due to having those files locked, my device could not access them as my device memory was marked as "Read Only" and my SD card was marked as "Hidden". These attributes could not be undone. As such I removed the locks thinking that all would be resolved. Unfortunately this was not the case.

I contacted the developer who informed me that this was a common occurrence with App Lock 3.0 users. This information was not disclosed in any form prior to the purchase and/or subsequent download. I was further informed that App Lock 3.0 users assume their files have been deleted and end up screwing up (for lack of a better phrase) these files themselves. The developers advice... wipe your device and remove all third party applications.

Suffice to say I was not the least bit impressed with their response which completely avoided responsibility for the app performance nor was I any more impressed with their so-called "technical support". In the end their app resulted in my being completely locked out of my own devices memory as well as my SD card. I have heard of tight security, but this was completely ridiculous!

As a result I was forced to completely wipe my device, SD card, reformat both and spend hours gathering the apps I once used. Not to mention all the irreplaceable files on my SD card which were permanently lost. Thankfully I only ended up paying $1 for this app, but regardless I requested a refund. Maybe if enough people do the same in this situation they will actually break down and fix the bugs that cause these problems rather than hiding them until someone contacts them as I did.

So buyer beware!! The app worked great when it came to locking other apps, but if you plan to use it to lock files on your device memory and/or SD card, be prepared to spend days cleaning up the mess it makes :smileysad:

~JavaBrat~
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Re: App Lock 3.0 - Buyer beware!

Hi, 

I bought their App Lock Pro for .99$. It doesn't work on my torch. I've tried contacting them (Ajani Info Tech) and they will not respond back! My patience is running very thin. How long did it take them to respond back to you?

Thanks!

New Developer

My apologies for not replying sooner, unfortunately the email notification for your post got lost in the email shuffle the last couple days.

When I initially contacted the developer I believe it took about a week for me to get a first response from them, which was basically to say my problems weren't their fault, they were mine and that I needed to wipe my device.

I then contacted them a second time to share my disgust with their application and so-called support, to which I received their second response in maybe a day or two informing me they could have saved the files (after having already told me to wipe everything).

Completely fed up and ticked off, I contacted them again and told them I wanted a refund, period. They didn't respond and I believe I gave them about a week before sending the same request for a refund a second time. That time I waited a couple of days and when I didn't get a response, I contacted App World and explained the problems as well as all the steps I personally took to find a resolution and asked them for a refund. Only then was I given the refund I asked for, which I received in about a day or two I believe it was. Maybe three at most. But never heard from the developer again, of course.

I hope this helps and good luck!

~JavaBrat~
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9810

I hate to have to share this but this app developer is not just scamming consumers/buyers/developers/whomever on App Lock 3.0 -- this developer is a straight up scam artist and I intend on reporting this "developer" to BlackBerry -- if BlackBerry will not permanently remove them from BlackBerry App World then they can answer to the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection -- I do not care which path they choose, but this "sham" app developer has to go.

I purchased the "Mail Filters Rule Manager" from "Ajani InfoTech Private Limited" and immediately the App royally screwed up my phone -- it was SUPPOSED to block spam emails and allow rules to be set up to have other emails automatically "read" -- IT DID NOTHING. 

Now it gets worse: EVEN AFTER A) CONTACTING THIS SHAM APP DEVELOPER (WHO OF COURSE DID NOT RESPOND) AND B) THEN UN-INSTALLING THIS SHAM APP, I NOW CANNOT EVEN MANUALLY DELETE EMAILS FROM MY BB TORCH

This developer "conveniently" has its organizational structure set up such that it is listed as "GetEmpower.com" in the United States (likely with the thought that their BS apps would eventually catch up to them and shielding the TRUE developer: "Ajani InfoTech Private Limited" -- which, if you do a bit of web digging, you will see sells the apps overseas). Trust me -- I am not some cook with conspiracy theories -- I do work on consumer advocacy matters on the side and this STINKS of fraud.

BlackBerry -- If you are reading or archiving these messages, I suggest you move to deal with a "sham" app developer before the government does -- you are already on thin ice as it stands.

SORRY TO THOSE FOLKS THAT PURCHASED APPS FROM THESE CROOKS BUT RIM JUST SHOWED A TOTAL LACK OF INTERNAL CONTROLS IN ALLOWING THESE GUYS INTO THE BB APP WORLD TO BEGIN WITH!!

New Developer

I'm sorry to hear that you've not had a much better experience dealing with these people ezsegal :smileysad:

It sounds to me like you have to do the same thing I did and do a complete wipe of your device to factory settings. That was not only what their company told me to do, but was all that could be done to get my device working properly again. Its not all that difficult to do, I did it after all, but is of course not what ones PAYS for when purchasing an app.

But reading these posts does make me wonder what RIM looks for when an application is submitted for approval. I know as a theme developer, when I submit a theme to App World, it takes almost two weeks to get approved. Now I wonder if they actually look into what is being submitted or if its just sitting in an inbox somewhere waiting for someone to "get around" to approving it.

Regardless, they do need to come up with a method of quality assurance on their end to prevent those of us who download apps from App World from getting scammed or dooped in any way. After all, we do trust the apps mainly due to the fact that they appear under the App World name, regardless of the actual relationship the developers have with RIM.

Hopefully in the end enough people will contact RIM concerning this developer that they will actually look into and/or remove them from App World all together.

~JavaBrat~
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

[ Edited ]

Thanks to everyone for your input.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9810

FYI: 

BlackBerry/RIM has "officially" responded to me regarding this "developer" (mind you this was only after I left a voicemail for the Chief Legal Officer & General Counsel at RIM) and said that they will be investigating them and "will be in touch again during the course of the week" after they have had a chance to conduct their investigation.

just an update.

New Developer

You're welcome BillJ! :smileywink:

Thank you ezsegal for the update :smileyhappy:

~JavaBrat~
My Device: blackberry torch 9810

Hey so this just happened to me, except because i couldn't get the lock to initiate on my media files, i tried to lock out the whole blackberry file on my sd card..... and now all of my pictures and everything are gone! I found that if i showed the blackberry file as a hidden file then chose to protect that again and then unprotect it, the files showed up again. however it goes back after a few minutes..... and now when i tried to do that again to retrieve and reverse the lock on the file it almost seems like its too much for my blackberry to handle and in the middle of unprotecting the files my phone shuts down and restarts!!!!!!!! im sooooooo angry! What did the company tell you to do to retrieve the files? u said they gave u a remedy, but u had already cleared everything out.... please let me kno!! i need these files back!!! :smileysad:
New Developer

Hi jode_50!

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with this App/developer as well :smileysad:

Unfortunately I do believe that the developer, under all assumed names, is nothing more than a sham as stated in a previous post. One which App World has still not done anything about.

When I contacted the developer concerning my issue it was only after I threw a complete fit about their releasing a PAID app with known issues that they back-peddled and said there was a fix, BUT it was too late (because their previous response had already stated there was no fix other than to wipe the device).

So as far as I know, I've not come across a fix for the issue. You can try contacting them yourself and maybe you will get lucky. But as far as what happened with me, they didn't come up with a so-called "fix" until AFTER telling me to wipe my device, which I believe they made up and there is in fact no fix at all. But that was the last response I received from them as they ignored all further emails from me from that point forward.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you do contact them, could you please update everyone here as to what they say to you so we can try to keep everyone as informed of this developer as possible? I as well as many others would really appreciate it!

Thanks, and GOOD LUCK!!

~JavaBrat~