Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ahazela
My Device: PlayBook OS 2.1.0.1088
My Carrier: NA

Application Permissions - can't deny or manage anymore

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty picky about granting permissions to apps.  I've been a big user of the PlayBook 's Application Permissions settings, and when downloading apps, I always deny any permission requests that aren't obviously relevant. I've never had any problem with this...... until now.

It's like I'm stuck in Android hell. Almost every app requests permission far beyond what's needed (why does my daughter's balloon popping game need access to my personal files, gps, camera, and the Internet??) -- and it seems I have no choice but to accept, or not download the app at all. When I denied permissions in the past, the app just went on installing and was functional. Now, when I deny permissions, even if i only uncheck one on the list, the app just shuts down, can't be installed.  I tried accepting all permissions for a couple of apps, thinking I could change this later in the Application Permissions settings on the PlayBook -- but none of the apps even appear in the Permissions list. I now only have 10 apps in that list, and there are way more than that installed on the PlayBook.

The same thing happens even when I go to my uninstalled list in AppWorld -- when I try to reinstall, permissions are requested, and the app won't install unless all permissions are allowed. Even worse, I recently had to wipe the PlayBook and I haven't reinstalled all of my apps yet ... And now it's like they're being held ransom. Did something change with the latest os updates? I'm not willing to blindly accept random permissions, and not having these apps seriously limits the PlayBook 's fun and usefulness for me.

I haven't seen an outcry about this.... So maybe it's just me, and there's a fix???

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Application Permissions - no longer able to deny or manage

This is pretty much standard anymore. If you want the app you have to accept the permissions it requests. If you have a problem with a particular app you should contact the developer and find out why a certain permission is needed. I know that on BB devices, apps ask for things like "call logs" but really it needs permission so that a phone number in an app can be clicked on like a link and the number dialed directly from the app. It appears as though the app wants access to your personal data but really it just wants to be able to dial the phone for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ahazela

I realize that many apps ask for permissions that are perfectly legit, and I'm fine with that.  But EVERY app I've tried to install lately, including ones from my uninstalled list, asks for far more than they legitimately need.  Toddler games needing access to gps, camera, contact list???

Do you think this is a change on the part of BlackBerry, or the developers?  Is the ability to manage permssions just a thing of the past?  That's NOT how it's been with BlackBerry up until about a month ago, which is why I'm surprised and irate.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Since apps seem to make or break device platforms these I'm sure it's a combination of both. RIM wants developers on board and developers need revenue to continue to develop. When free or very cheap apps are put out there has to be some incentive for someone. My guess is this is for targeted advertising. Also, people like games that are social in nature. Playing games with friends is something the new generation really wants so GPS location, camera, and contact list permissions would be required for that.

Problems arising when permissions are denied is not new. I once had to wipe a BB device because I accidentally denied permissions to an app and it screwed up the entire device.

I recommend contacting the individual developers regarding what permissions they need and why. I
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ahazela

I appreciate your response and I get what you're saying about the apps.  

I'm actually more frustrated by the fact that a component of the PlayBook (Settings >Security>Application Permissions) no longer is functional.  I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, and whether there is any fix or workaround -- regardless of why the apps themselves request permissions.

Both on this site and on crackberry, there are articles on how to manage permissions:  http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-application-permissions

"Long ago, Research In Motion decided that only the BlackBerry end user would be able to decide how apps would interact with the smartphone. Unlike some other device creators, there are no code signing or other workarounds to granting the permissions. Only the user or the BES administrator can choose to allow permissions."  (I've also heard Android users lament their lack of control over permissions and look to BlackBerry as an example of a better way.)

So, unless the above statement isn't true anymore, I do expect this to work, and want to know why it isn't. 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

ahazela wrote:

I'm actually more frustrated by the fact that a component of the PlayBook (Settings >Security>Application Permissions) no longer is functional.

Hello ahazea,

I have read this entire discussion, but I do not understand that specific sentence. Can you elaborate?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.