Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
JohnPByrne
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: orange

BBM7 VOIP invalid certificate

Dear all,

I've had bbm7 on my bold 9780 for a few weeks now and regularly get the following

"you are attempting to open a secure connection to bbm.voip.blackberry.com" and telling me that my certificate is not valid. A browse on the net suggests that I need to whitelist the url.

Is that true and if so how and where do I need to whitelist it? On the phone? there's no option to enter whitelist items on my 9780 firewall as far as I can see.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnPByrne

Re: BBM7 VOIP invalid certificate

Looks like nobody else is seeing a similar error. Perhaps it's a bug in bbm7

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnPByrne

I only get this message when I'm away fro my WiFi and the full message is:

"

Your are attempting to open a secure connection to:

* bbm.voip.blackberry.com

but the server's certificate contains a different domain name:

* www.btopenzone.com

"

options are:

- Continue

- Close connection

- View certrificate

If I select "view certificate" then I get:

* Stale Chain Status

* unknown Cgain status

and a bunch of other things

Might it be related to a BTFon connection?

Is nobody else seeing this?

Might it just be a UK problem?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnPByrne

Can anyone tell me how I can revert to bbm6?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnPByrne

Just a thought:

Is anyone seeing my posts?

(is it normal to get no responses whatsoever?)

I've deleted the BT-Fon app to see if that gets rid of the message. If it does I'd still like to get BT-Fon back and revert to BBM6 cos that'll give me WiFi out and about without the mess of this bbm7 notification.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

JohnPByrne wrote:

Just a thought:

Is anyone seeing my posts?

(is it normal to get no responses whatsoever?)

Hello -- this site is not a formal "trouble ticket" system where there is follow up, tracking, and closing the loop on all issues reported. Rather, this is a volunteer-contributed site where end-users try to help each other out to the best of their abilities. Given that you have no responses, I would deduce that your issue simply hasn't been experienced by anyone else who participates here...and you certainly don't want thousands of "I can't help you" posts in response, I'd think... But, if you do happen to find an answer somewhere, I am 100% certain that posting that result here will be useful to someone else and will become, therefore, a valuable contribution to this ever-expanding knowledge base.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnPByrne

Thanks. I'm familiar with William of Ockham as I used the language he invented (!) in my parallel computing PhD some years ago.

Please use plain text.
Chris_76
My Device: torch 9860 / curve 8900
My Carrier: vodafone

on the curve of my wife i have the same problem with the certificate.
BBM 7.0.1.23 / BB OS 5.2.0104 installed
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JohnPByrne

Solved. I reverted to BBM6. Lots of people having the same problem but no sign of interest in it from RIM.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

JohnPByrne wrote:
Solved. I reverted to BBM6. Lots of people having the same problem but no sign of interest in it from RIM.

Hello again,

I am very happy you solved your issue, and even happier that you came back to this user-to-user community and posted the solution for the benefit of others.

But, if you are still taking no reply here from BlackBerry as "no sign of interest", then you continue to misunderstand this forum, for it is not a channel for any formal communications with, escalations to, nor support from BlackBerry. It is a user-to-user community...that is all.

On the other hand, if you did follow the contractually required formal support channel (which begins with your mobile service provider, your original place of purchase, or an authorized service center...it varies by region and issue), were escalated up to BlackBerry, and they still showed no interest, then that would be a different matter indeed.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.