Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: bb torch 9800

Re: BlackBerry Maps

hwy when we can have maps of colombia, here we are using to much bb phones,and hope de develope of the maps for our country we want to know whennnn it sill be aviable thanks
New Contributor

hey when we can have maps of colombia, here are many people using your divices, y we want the maps when we can have avaible them, hope you answer soonn thanksss 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello mig100,

as you are aware Research in Motion is not a map maker. RIM has a partnership with several map makers, that provide RIM with maps (roads & surface type, GPS coordinates as well as street names and points of interest). So RIM depends on their partners to get more detailed maps of specific regions in the world.

here is the current map of the coverage of BlackBerry Maps :

http://us.blackberry.com/mapgen/

and here are the (numerous) map makers that have a partnership with RIM for BlackBerry Maps ( the list is incomplete):

• Tele Atlas
  • Tele Atlas N.V.
  • BEV, GZ
  • DAV
  • IGN France
  • Geonext/DeAgostini
  • Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland
  • Norwegian Mapping Authority, Public Roads Administration
  • Mapsolutions
  • Swisstopo Topografische onderground
  • dienst voor het kadaster en de openbare ergisters, Apeldoorn
  • Google Maps (yeah!)

so your hope is that either RIM partners with a map maker that has good maps of Colombia, or that one of the current map makers makes better maps of Colombia.

Maybe you can check with your local public cadastral entity?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

but in other divices like nokia have prefeclty the colombian maps, google maps also are perfect, why rim dont have, many people here are desaopinted about that because we want to use the gps for aur divices, i think that is a very inportant point to improve for your divices for latin america here are many potenicla users for bb. thanks for your time

Solutions: 6,061
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Why don't you use Google Maps? Quite frankly it's a more full featured mapping application anyway.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

because for google maps i have to pay special plan to my phone company to use it, well, that i really want to know if inthe future you will charge the maps from colombia?
Guru I

As far as I know both map programs require a BlackBerry data plan. And for many carriers that plan is not free.

if you use BlackBerry Maps without a data plan, you will get your GPS coordinates, but you will not have info related to maps.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520

I have a curve 8520, I have tried all the ways that have been mentioned here but it still does not install the map, when I go to applications it just shows me blackberry maps installer. And I can't run the application
Guru I

try and do an OS upgrade, and be sure to check BlackBerry Maps when you do so.

New Contributor
My Device: TOUR 9630

I also can't. Find blackberry maps on my Tour9630, I have downloaded and installed the map several times but the icon doesn't appear, I have checked the applications list under "Options", it is not there, Pls, help me as the map is very important to me