Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerry OS update = broken apps

Hello,

Since I installed the last BlackBerry OS update (7.1 bundle 2108) I've had the following happen:

1. All previously saved (and backed-up) song tags on Shazam wiped-out. When I asked about restoring from back-up I was told this was impossible, which begs the question: why should we bother?

2. When I went to use the Berry Weather app, I was told that I had to purchase it, ie I wasn't a registered user. Ironically this was an app that BlackBerry gave out for free last year as an apology for service problems. Thankfully, App World had it still available for free, otherwise I would have to purchase it.

3. An application I use, called Dream Sounds, had any extra sounds I'd downloaded for it erased.

Seeing as I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this, I'd like to ask: why all the havoc when doing a necessary OS update? This is completely amateurish: apps shouldn't go from purchased to non-purchased, or their data gone AWOL (and unretrievable) because of a routine update.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BlackBerry OS update = broken apps

you should know why you wish to upgrade an OS... the main idea should always be "if it is not broken, don't fix".

That being said, the most important question you have raised is how to restore your backup.

Can you elaborate on what is not working when you try to restore the backup ? the exact error message or a screenshot can help us help you.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

I upgraded the OS because BB Desktop said I should - I'm not hacking here.

There is no way to restore the lost data without restoring the previous back-up and re-writing everything. In other words, I'm not aware of a way to extract just the lost Shazam tags.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

you are right, I do not really like how software updates are pushed and nearly imposed to the customer. It is true for Windows, Firefox, Chrome, and here your BlackBerry OS.

That being said, what I always do when I do an OS upgrade :
1. make a manual back-up of the whole content of my device (except the media card)
2. turn off wifi & cellular
3. do the upgrade
4. restore all the backup to the device
5. restore cellular and/or wifi

that way you would get everything back.

Now, about restore. Indeed the backup is composed of several databases, and I am pretty sure that the shazam data is stored somewhere in a single place.
I am quite surprised that they do not store the information somewhere on the media card though. Maybe you can go on the Shazam forums, and ask them if you can fetch your tags back. My guess is that they are somewhere on your media card, and the trick is to link shazam to that specific folder.
If you do go that path, please give us some feedback.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: