Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

M30
M30
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

BlackBerry Protect Is Useless

Hey, there is something in the blackberry protect application which I think in my opinion makes it useless...when the sim card changes in the blackberry...the blackberry protect notifies that the sim card is changed and password is needed to be entered in order to make the blackberry protect active again... of course when the mobile is stolen the thief wont keep the sim card, it would be changed...and when its changed then blackberry protect is useless...i cant find my mobile location also cant lock it or wipe the data on it (important data) because of the developer who made this update.    

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry Protect Is Useless

... and once the battery is dead or the device is even turned off, or water damaged... etc., and so on.

Correct, once the SIM card is removed or changed in the device, the Protect website can't communicate with the device. So, it is useFUL, only until the SIM is removed or battery is good.

Or lost in your house, at a restaurant and many many other circumstances.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
M30
M30

[ Edited ]

And no one would steal the mobile and close it and wont use it...whats the point of finding my location if its not when the mobile is stolen...and what about locking or wiping device....that also wont be available in this case

JSanders

M30 wrote:

whats the point of finding my location if its not when the mobile is stolen

When the device is lost... one good example.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
M30
M30

i mean if someone stole it from me...and the other point is that when he changes the sim card i wont be able to lock the device or wipe the data from it

JSanders

Correct.

It just goes without saying that it won't communicate when all means of communication have been removed. Right?

You wreck and total your auto, and very likely the ignition won't work either. The latter is just a consequence of the former.

I don't think RIM/BlackBerry has ever stated Protect will work when the SIM card has been removed.

Knowledge Base Updates