Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
JohnPennington
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Dialing Your Blackberry From Your Desktop

Hi everyone.

I have looked all over the Internet for a Blackberry application that allows me to dial calls through my Blackberry using my desktop computer while they're hooked together via USB. Amazingly, it doesn't seem to exist.

A simple application of this concept would allow me to highlight a phone number on the computer screen, and then have it pass the phone number to the Blackberry to dial. Another simple application might be to use my desktop computer keyboard's number pad for dialing the phone number. In an advanced application, I might have a contact management system running on my desktop that allows me to make phone calls through the Blackberry while updating notes on my PC, and then synchronizes my data within the Blackberry so that when I go out of the office, I have all my data with me.

This is how the real world works.  Many sales and executives are in and out of their offices each day. When in the office, using their computer to dial through their Blackberry offers many advantages:

1) Calling a customer using an office line might mean that the customer calls back on that office line when you're no longer there. Dialing out on the Blackberry assures you that when you get the return call, you'll be able to take it thereby minimizing telephone tag.

2) Let's get serious.  Calling with the computer allows for much faster cleaner dialing. Dialing on a computer keyboard is much easier than using the very small keys on the Blackberry.  If you have to make a lot of calls fast, doing it on the computer is going to be a lot better than trying to do it on your Blackberry.

3) If you have an expensive phone system in your office, it can be very costly to buy a PC interface for it that allows using the computer to dial your calls. Interfacing to your Blackberry to handle calls solves that problem.  Even better, nobody has to go to their boss, the technicians, or the bean counters to make it happen.

I really think something like this would be very useful to anyone that makes a lot of calls and is in and out of the office. In other words, most Blackberry owners.

The fact that I can't find any applications that control dialing of a Blackberry using desktop software may be an indication that it can't be done. That said, it seems to me that simply putting a file in a folder on the Blackberry with the phone number to be dialed, and then having an app running on the Blackberry that watches for that data file and reacts to it by dialing the number should be possible to do.

Truth is, I'm stunned that this application isn't built into the Blackberry Desktop Software that comes with the phone.  That said, for nobody in the applications world to have created this already is pretty hard to believe, too.

Anyone got a solution?

Regards,

John

JSanders
Solutions: 6,027
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Dialing Your Blackberry From Your Desktop

JohnPennington wrote:

Anyone got a solution?

Looky: BlackBerry Mobile Voice Systems is probably as close as you are going to get, although it is much more advanced and much more uselfully integrated than even what you are asking for.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/blackberry_mvs/

Mobilize your PBX the BlackBerry® way

BlackBerry® Mobile Voice System (BlackBerry® MVS) mobilizes PBX systems, bringing office phone features to BlackBerry® smartphones. By using one business number, BlackBerry MVS is designed to help you avoid missed calls. With advanced security features, wireless administration, and centralized management, BlackBerry MVS gives you the flexibility you need with the controls you trust.

Good luck.

For your more limited idea, you might wish to contact a developer to explore your needs.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
JohnPennington

Ok, I looked at this MVS system, and what I see is Blackberry integration into a PBX phone system, not a computer.  Where does it allow me to dial from my computer screen?

The point of what I'm looking for is a way to use my computer to go through a contact management system, and dial calls through my Blackberry.  It has nothing to do with a PBX. 

I find it amazing that nobody has come up with an application that does this.  It seems like it would be relatively simple to have a desktop application (ie a browser plug in) that creates a file with a phone number in it, and then puts it in a specific folder in the Blackberry (via USB cable).  Then have an app running on the Blackberry that sees the file, reads it, deletes it, and then dials the number.

As for my "more limited idea", I want something that can be used from within any application I may be running on my desktop.  I may be on a webpage, or inside Goldmine or ACT! (sales automation), or accessing an Excel spreadsheet, or viewing a Word file, and when I see a phone number, I would like to be able to highlight it, and then hit a function key or some Ctrl/Alt key combination to dial it.  That doesn't sound too limited to me...

John

JSanders
Solutions: 6,027
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Oh John, I was simply offering the closest solution. Yes, it was much more advanced that you needs call for, but I wanted to make sure you read up on it in case that it might cover your needs. I am so sorry it didn't. 

Perhaps there is an app somewhere that fulfills your needs. I don't know of one.

And, if there isn't--my suggestion to make contact with a developer is likely the direction you should turn.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
GeekyGrrrl

Did you take a look at Impactica vDock?

TiGuru22
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

I have just finished with an exhaustive search of the Internet for just such an application as you have discussed here. How simple it seems to ask that we be able to dial our cell phone from within a program such as Outlook or some other desktop/PC based contact manager.  It would be so productive!!

Outlook has the feature partially built into its program, but it requires the use of a device to connect to a phone line.  This is fairly easy to setup on a laptop if you have a modem installed that will dial out.  BUT, not for any kind of cell phone. 

It makes so much sense for this little application program, but I cannot find a simple answer.  Others that I have looked into includes Impacta (whic works as an emulator, but you cannot dial from outside the program) as well as Ethos and MVS.  There should be a simple little interface application/program that allows Outlook to find your Blackberry thru Bluetooth, USB or even WiFi.

If anyone finds a program please let me know and I will pass it on.

I wish I was a Developer, you figure how many copies of MS Outlook exist out there and how many of them have cell phones times say $20 - $50 a program!!!!  That is one hell of an opportunity to make some good money. (Hint Hint)

Best regards to all,