Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
RDWIL
My Device: Bold 9700

Documents to Go: Error opening file: Index 12 >= 12 OK

When I want to open a DOC file that is on my memorycard I get the following error message:

Index 12 >= 12  OK

I press ok and Word closes. There is a table in the file (3 column's and 20+ rows) so could this be the problem? I have the latest version of Documents to go for Blackberry and have the latest OS.

I  do not know what extra to write down concerning this problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kind regards,

Rob

FArini
My Device: storm 9520

Re: Documents to Go: Error opening file: Index 12 >= 12 OK

Hye..

i faced the same prob..

sometimes, my BB st0rm 9520 used to hang for awhile and I have to restart..

and at last, the error came out as like your prob..:smileysad:

Contributor
RDWIL

But did you find a solution? Dataviz writes me that I have to ask RIM for help because they do not provide support. But I cannot find a solution on RIM's knowledge base and contacting RIM directly is impossible or you need to buy a support package (if I am not mistaken).

Developer
bigc
My Device: 9000, 9780, 9900

Where did that document come from?  Word, or another tool?  Can you post a link to it?  I have used larger tables so can't believe it is that.

Contributor
RDWIL

Hello Bigc,

Thanks for the help. You can download a file that is giving the error message here: http://ge.tt/9I8Hym4?c. I adjusted the file a bit so no identifiable personal information is in it.  I checked it and this file also gives the error message.

It is a normal Word Doc file. I copied it with windows explorer to the memory card. It opens in Documents to Go but during the proces of opening (you can see already part of the file) it suddenly shows the error message and the only option is closing.

The file is not very big and it should give no problems when opening. Other files with tables also give no problems. But I have a lot of these files and some of them (give this problem).

I hope you can figure out what the problem is.

Kind regards,

Rob

Developer
bigc

[ Edited ]

Well, not sure I really answer your question but there is something really odd about the final table.  The first 4 rows have an extra invisible cell at the end, but the last row does not.  The invisible column is 12, which may partially explain the cryptic error message.

If I delete the whole table the document opens fine (Docs to Go Premium Edition Version 2).  I'd try recreating that table!

I hope that is useful, and good luck!  Kudos is always welcome if this helps.

Contributor
RDWIL

Thank you very much for the effort. I could not reply because I was on vacation last few weeks.

I deleted the table with 11 columns and indeed the file can be opened. I tried to recreate the tables but the tables are normal tables and the invisible column is an indication of the end of row (at least I gather this from the error message when I try to delete this column).

When delete other rows other then the invisible one at the end I get the same error message but with index nr adjusted to number of columns + 1 (the invisible one). 

The table is for as far as I can see a normal table so I do not see what I can do to solve the problem.

The tables are copied from a program and it is a lot of work to make a table by hand and copy al the data in it.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

KInd regards,

Rob

Developer
bigc

The table is definitely odd.  Try comparing with one created manually in Word and you can see that it does not have those extra cells at the end of the rows.  I'm not sure what you are copying it from, but you need to get the table cleaned up somehow.

Contributor
RDWIL

Al tables have the extra invisible colomn (at least in Word 2010?!). See the screenschot I made of a table I inserted just using the insert tabel command without anything extra: http://ge.tt/9dxseT5?c

I agree that the table is the culprit, but since every table in Word 2010 has this rowend, it is not the invisible colum at the end that is causing the problems.

Developer
bigc

[ Edited ]

If you take your original .doc file and save as .docx (in Word 2007) you can easily see the malformed cells at the end of all rows (apart from the last row which appears normal).  Properly formed Word tables do not look like that.  See this image (hope it displays OK).

Extrra cells

If you select these cells, you can then delete entire column (ie 4 cells).  After that you can open the .docx in Documents to Go.