Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Does Blackberry cache data?

Hi,

I don't actually have a Blackberry but I need to support users who do.  We are a medical institution and deal with protected health information for many patients.  My users have  figured out how to connect their Blackberry's to our Exchange server.  They all swear that they delete email with PHI but I'm not convinced that's sufficient.

On a Windows computer deleting a file isn't sufficient because of the way Windows handles file deletion, how does a Blackberry handle it?  For example,  if one of my users were to lose or dispose of their Blackberry could someone else find it and retrieve deleted emails?

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Does Blackberry cache data?

Yes and No.

One, your users should absolutely be forced to use a password. Are they on BES? If they are BES, you can require it. If they are not, you can't, but you can encourage it, just there is no way to force it. The password function on the BB is impenetrable and will wipe the device if ever found and the PW is incorrectly entered a certain number of times.

On your question... once deleted, it is deleted. There is no 'trash can' on the BlackBerry. An expert BlackBerry forensics technician could *possibly* retrieve data, and that is highly expensive to do.

Is that sufficient for your peace of mind?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Does Blackberry cache data?

No, the way the devices are designed once your delete something from the device it's unrecoverable. Do you have a password requirement for the devices there? If you do, and are using the default settings, after the incorrect password is entered incorrectly 10 times the device will wipe itself. So if a device is lost with a password set, then a stranger couldn't get at the data because they would keep guessing the password. During the device wipe, the settings are restored back to the factory settings and ALL of the information is erased from the device.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.