Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

dcjo
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

E pub books on BB Playbook

Moved a collection of epub books to playbook successfully.  Cannot find or view them in playbook.  Cannot find an app that will read epub.   Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb

Re: E pub books on BB Playbook

You can't do that on the Playbook.  The Kobo reader app is the only app that will read epub files and it only reads epub files purchased from Kobo.

You'll have to wait until either Kobo allows us to read other epub files or another ereader app is written for the Playbook.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ByronSanford
My Device: Playbook, Tour 9630

I hope KOBO does this or that someone comes out with a reader apps that will permit this, and SOON! :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
titemini
My Device: playbook

I just can't imagine we have Adobe X latest version with any features active...
Adobe reader Digital Editions is the basic tool in the industry to transfer the books you buy from stores to your Pc and mobile devices but my PlayBook is not recognized!

Someone else have add sucess so far with these products?
Please use plain text.
Developer
jocala
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

I tried downloading an epub via the browser, but no file association links epubs to the Kobo reader. This is just a glaring omission. Unless Kobo addresses this, the best bet for a speedy resolution will be an Android app later this summer. I know this much; I'll never buy a book from the Kobo store if it [the reader] remains locked down.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb

jocala wrote:

I tried downloading an epub via the browser, but no file association links epubs to the Kobo reader. This is just a glaring omission. Unless Kobo addresses this, the best bet for a speedy resolution will be an Android app later this summer. I know this much; I'll never buy a book from the Kobo store if it remains locked down.

Ebooks purchased through Kobo can be read on other ereaders.  I have purchased books through Kobo in the past for my Sony Reader and was able to download those books into the Kobo Reader on the Playbook.  The problem is that the Kobo Reader app that comes with the Playbook refuses to read anything other than epub files purchased or otherwise acquired from the Kobo bookstore.  It will not allow you to read epub files that you already have that were not purchased through Kobo.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jocala
My Device: Playbook

===

The problem is that the Kobo Reader app that comes with the Playbook refuses to read anything other than epub files purchased or otherwise acquired from the Kobo bookstore.  It will not allow you to read epub files that you already have that were not purchased through Kobo.

===

I'm aware of the problem on Playbook. That's why I tried an end-run with the browser, to see if a file association existed with the Kobo app and epub files.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Hi folks,

I'm one desperately waiting on the ability to side-load epubs to the PlayBook, too. And I've tried all sorts of tricks. :smileywink:

Unfortunately it appears that Kobo hates you if you try anything except for reading their books - and that's on their desktop version, too.

I had a look to see if there was a framework in flash for reading epub files, and did find one but it didn't have any rendering and I don't have the time to program one...

So, I'd nearly given up - but I think that I've just found a solution. Give me a few minutes, and I'll see if I can get it to work. If I have any joy I'll post a new topic.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Just posted my 'fix' here

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
setuid
My Device: Bold 9000, Bold 9700, PlayBook

Easy solution, and one I've been using for awhile with thousands of my personal epubs: Calibre!

Install Calibre, import all of your ePub files into it, then convert them all to PDF and send/copy them to your BlackBerry PlayBook.

The great benefit of Calibre, is that you can manage your epub files, sanitize them, populate the files with corrected/current metadata from various public sources, add cover art, and so on.

It's like iTunes for ebooks, but done right.

Please use plain text.