Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Re: E pub books on BB Playbook

setuid,

Have you actually tried this? There appears to be no support for the PlayBook from apps such as calibre simply because the books do not reside in the accessible folder.

The siloed nature of QNX apps means that if Kobo do not want you to sideload a book, it isn't going to happen.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
setuid
My Device: Bold 9000, Bold 9700, PlayBook

Yes, I've tried this and it works fine...you convert the epub to PDF and move that PDF into your "Documents" or "Books" directory on your PlayBook, then launch Adobe Reader and open the PDF.

Calibre doesn't directly support the PlayBook (yet, if at all), but the process I'm using works for me so far. It's not ideal, but it functions, until something better comes along.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Right, that makes sense now. :smileyhappy:

Seeing as the PDF reader is just plain awful at the moment I've settled for using Bookworm which happily behaves on the Bridge Browser as well for when I'm out and about.

Of course, neither are ideal. Roll on Kindle or a 3rd Party epub reader!

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jamzusa
My Device: 8310

I think pretty much that was said in above comments that you can't read other publications with Kobo. Not sure what you read.....  What our issues on this blog are are to read OTHER publications on our Blackberry's with Kobo or with another program. Any suggestions who makes software to read generic epub publications?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ndbert
My Device: playbook

I just want the kindle app that was announced september of last year to be released. Playbook has been out long enough they should have released an app they have been working on since then.
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Try SVIT, EPUB reader or PlayEPUB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

For the Amazon Kindle, you can use the online web browser:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Kindle-Cloud-Reader/m-p/1249433

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
showtunegirl
My Device: 9780 & playbook

but can you navigate a book using a PDF format? I want to be able to look for a certain part of a book - The Bible, but have had limited success in trying to navigate through the book without it being tedious and time consuming.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
jaasonn6194
My Device: black berry playbook

i found the solution :smileyvery-happy:.

Heres what you do.

1. connect to your blackberry playbook via wifi.

2. Find a PDF version of your ebook from google. (type the name of the book into search box followed by filetype:smileytongue:df)

3. open run on your computer and type in \\(your playbook IP)

4. open up documents then put the pdf file into documents. (dont put it in logs)

5. open up adobe reader on your playbook and it should be there :smileyvery-happy:.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
fls1945
My Device: Curve 8520

Is there a way to submit product requests to the RIM powers that be? If they could develop an app that would allow the tablet to read Overdrive WMA files, then we could all get e-books for free!!!! from our local lending libraries. Naturally, all of the Apple products (for 80 gadzillion $$$$) are on Overdrive's "compatible" lists. Any thoughts on how such a query /  request could be presented?

Please use plain text.