Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
JLG432
My Device: Playbook 16 gig

Re: E pub books on BB Playbook

In all fairness to Kobo - it is not tootted as being an external epub source reader.  The app works the same way on Android just like the Kindle app does. With the physical Kobo and Kindle e-readers you can add extrenal epub books either via usb cable or by inserting a micro sd card and then you have access to those ebooks whether purchased or loaned.

What we really need are some e-reader apps such as Aldigo, Fbreader, Cool Reader, Compact Reader, Laputa, Repligo Reader (a very good PDF reader), iReader, iSilo reader etc.  These are all third party ereaders and support many e-book formats between them.   

I am under the impression that RIM is working on a method of running Android apps on their Tablets.  Now that would really open things up.

John

Mothball
My Device: BB 9800 Playbook 64GB

I suggest you buy and dl the

book reader

app.  Costs .99 I believe.   Connect the PB via usb, and drag your mobi or epub files into the "books" folder on the PB.

fire up book reader and point to the book folder, highlight the book(s) you want to import into book reader.  Voila!  they are there.  Decent ereader.

I love the fact it is able to import and convert mobi files as well.

New Contributor
martemagne
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16GB

The EPUB app for $1.99 is reported to read EPUB format eBooks but not those with DRM protection. Unfortunately public libraries which have eBooks also have DRM. Does anyone know of an app that works, or is one in the works?

Note to RIM: The ability to use the Playbook as a reader for library books was one of my main reasons for buying it. If this doesn't come soon I will probably return the Playbook after New Years.

New Contributor
julielucas0711
My Device: Playbook 16 G

I have also been very frustrated with the playbook.  I thought it would be more usefriendly.  I have never owned a blackberry device.  I figured out how to download library books!!!!!!!  I was reading in the forums about creating an amazon cloud reader account.  I have purchased many books from Kindle that I wanted to download to my playbook.  If you create a cloud account, you can download any kindle books from the cloud.  Though I got the playbook to avoid Amazon's proprietary brand, ironically, the only way I can figure out how to download library books is to check them out in kindle versions.  Then they can be loaded to the cloud and then from the cloud to the playbook.  Perhaps a few steps, but I read A LOT of library books!!!  I will now start checking out the Kindle versions until the playbook comes up with something else!

Happy reading.

Google--cloud reader

New Contributor
martemagne

Can you explain more clearly how you move a book to the "cloud" and then back again?
New Contributor
JLG432

I believe he means using some type of Internet storage service such as DropBox.

With DropBox you get 2 gigs free of storage at the companies website.  You get to manage your space.  This includes private space and Public space.  If you have an account you can download the client software on as many PC's/Tablets that you own and the storage space on your cloud (the internet) gets mirrored to all your other devices as they get turned on and connected to the Internet.  I use it to keep my phone list up-to-date across all my devices.  You can update the document from any of your devices.

So you would upload your ebook to your "DropBox" space and then access it via "BlueBox" app on your Backberry/Playbook.  You can then export a copy to the appropriate folder on your PB.   There are other companies that offer similar services.  You can increase your storage for an annual fee. 

New Contributor
martemagne

Does this method handle ePubs with DRM, which, I am told, is how they come if borrowed form a library?

New Contributor
JLG432

I gifted my new PB to my son for Christmas as he has a BB phon so the purchased ebook app has been removed.

As for DRM this method will work if the PB already has the DRM software installed on it.

At the moment I believe that it may not.  If you go to the app store and look up the various readers available at this time they should be able to tell you if they support DRM.  Of course there are various forms of DRM such as ADE, Barnes and Noble DRM etc.  As for libraries they tend to be OverDrive as well as ADE.  Some DRM's can be easily removed from an ebook, therefore not making DRM an issue in those cases.

New Contributor
julielucas0711

Re: E pub books on BB Playbook--How to

I apologize if this is too basic--but many times the forum stuff is too far ahead of me!!  I am going to try do it as I am explaining it so I don't miss anything.  It really isn't as hard as this looks, but this is step by step by step.  (you might want to print this out)

1.  Go to www.read.amazon.com and sign-up for an account--because I have an account, it goes right to my list of books.  You will be able to access this account anytime you can get on the internet--it's not an app--it's a website that you can bookmark on your device or computer.

2.  Go to library (Carroll county for me)-you will need your library card and password. If you are not using Maryland libraries--you should skip ahead to      --

a)  www.library.carr.org.  

b)  At the home screen choose "Find Books & More" lavender tab at the top.  

c)  Then choose "Digital Titles" from the left hand column.  This will take you to "Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium".  Use your library card to sign in to your account.

d)  There are several ways to search for a book.  I usually go to "Advanced Search"  

Format: choose Kindle Book -- this is very important (and different from what I do for my android phone)

Language: English

Publishers: all publishers

Subject:  I always choose "romance", but pick your own

Awards:  all awards

Results per page:  Choose 25 or you will be scrolling through pages and pages

Order by:  creator (author)  This is also important for me because I am looking for specific authors

***There is a box at the bottom that you can check so that it will only show titles that are available  right now.  (You can create a wish list and then put things on  hold--I often have to do that to get the people I read--Quinn, Macomber, Mallery, etc). 

e) hit "search" sometimes it takes a few minutes (it's probably seconds, but it feels like minutes)

f)  Once you find a book you want, choose "add to cart" in the row that says "Use on: Kindles and free Kindle apps"

You can check out 4 books at a time, so you can put a few books in your cart before you check out.

g)  Once are ready to check out--go to "proceed to checkout"

h)  I always leave it as a 14 day check out---hit "confirm check out"

i)  Here's where you download---chose "get for Kindle"--that takes you to amazon's site---Make sure the "deliver to: says "Julie's(or you name) Kindle Cloud Reader" and hit "Get library book".

j)  Then you get an thank you note from amazon telling you that the book has been delivered to the cloud.

Now the book is in the cloud!!!!  Yeah--almost there!!

3.  Now go to www.read.amazon.com and sign in (mine goes directly to my account so I don't even have to sign in)

4.  The cloud can organize your books in several different ways (feel free to play around with that)

5.  You will see a large button on the top of the page that says "cloud/downloaded" 

6.  The easiest way to get the book downloaded to your device is to click on the book as though you are going to start reading it now.  It will download the book and open it.  If you then close the book, it is saved on your device!!!!!!

7.  There is an option to download a book---you click on a book and it asks you if you want to download and pin the book--I am not sure what that means--the book ends up on my playbook, but it has a push-pin in it that hids the title---so open it and then close it--go back to library by chosing the "library" button at the top of the page.

That should do it!!!!!  The library has a two week checkout time--on my phone, I can't open it at all after the due date.  I am not sure what will happen on the cloud because I haven't gotten to a due date yet!!!  

Hope this helps!!!

Ironic that I bought the playbook to avoid Amazon's proprietary system, but then have to use it in order to check out a book from the library because the playbook is not a supported device!!!!!!!!!  

Happy reading!

New Contributor
julielucas0711

Yes--this is the only way I have been able to get the DRM protected books--I am not ready to "route" my playbook and change the operating system.  

I can also download all the books that I have purchased for my Kindle app on my phone from the cloud to my playbook.  Now I just how to figure out how to get my Nook books on the playbook.

j