Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
dabram12
My Device: Blackberry Bold
Accepted Solution

Facebook 1.6 Blackberry Contacts application

[ Edited ]

I recently upgraded to Facebook 1.6 on my BB Bold, and was using the facebook BB contacts application to have link my facebook contacts to my BB contacts.  All worked fine on 1.5 but on 1.6 I am unable to select or deselect this option.  The option is ticked but greyed out and I am now unable to manually link my Facebook friends with my BB conacts.

Any ideas?

Message Edited by dabram12 on 06-17-2009 08:07 AM
New Contributor
tinobino
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Facebook 1.6 Blackberry Contacts application

I have the same problem, using a Curve 8320, my Calendar option is also grayed out.Worked Perfectly with 1.5, now there is no way for me to go back to 1.5

Help please:smileysad:

Contributor
gemery

I hate to say this, but me to.   using an 8703e with Verizon Wireless.  No problem with 1.5,
New Contributor
dabram12
My Device: Blackberry Bold

It seems the problem is a setting on the new Blackberry Enterprise server 5.

The administrator has disabled social networking intergration

New Contributor
tinobino

Thats great that you kno that about situation dabram, but i'm not on BES... so i am really at a loss
Contributor
gemery

I am not connected to a BES 5.0.  We use BPS, 4.1.4.17,  as far as I can determine there is no setting for this within the IT Policy, this just started happening with 1.6.  

Anyone?

Contributor
gemery

With the Help of another source:

The BES administrator has to set the policy.....see KB15535I just had to do this on our company BES, import the 5.0 polices, set the policy, push the policy out to the users, Note in the KB article it states that the user will have to do a security wipe, that was not true for us....it just started working....the users didn't have to do anything...pretty simple, low risk From the KB15535...To control this capability the IT Policy Disable Organizer Data Access for Social Networking Applications can be used. This IT policy is included in BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 and can be imported to a 4.0 BlackBerry Enterprise Server if required. For more information and for instructions on how to import these new policy rules to a 4.0 BlackBerry Enterprise Server, see KB15535.

nchadbourne

ok that may be true that this is some new BES setting for security on downloaded apps, but does not explain why the calendar and contacts application in facebook 1.5 vs facebook 1.6 worked fine. I think its an issue with the 1.6 software, does anyone know how to go back to 1.5?
Contributor
lost180
My Device: 9530 Storm

The problem is that Facebook 1.6 appears to rely on a specific IT Policy in BES 5.0. As I said in this thread, we're supposed to suffer if our BES admin hasn't updated to 5.0 policies and granted explicit permission to this specific policy?? IMO it should be the other way around: default allow unless explicitly denied... 

The article I'm referencing is: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB18427

Basically, if you're on BES, and this policy has not been installed AND configured, the facebook 1.6 defaults to blocking contacts and calendar sync. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

Contributor
xianshell

Seems pretty insane... as most BES administrators probably won't even notice this... and even if they do, they probably won't bother doing the work necessary to correct this... so basically any Blackberry users on BES are screwed by this foul up by RIM.

Is there going to be a fix to the Facebook application for this? If not, then how do i switch back to Facebook 1.5 (which worked fine)?