Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
JoeInCT
My Device: Not Specified

Facebook App

I have a Blackberry Storm and I downloaded the "new" Facebook app yesterday (5/29/09). I tend to do a lot of "Facebooking" on the couch at night while sitting next to my wife who does the same -- but with an iPhone using the Facebook app for iPhone.

I can't stress enough how worthless and embarrassing the Facebook app is for the Blackberry. If I am project manager, this app does not leave the building. In fact, it goes back to the drawing board. It seems to me the programming team is suffering from a total lack of imagination. It is "feature poor" and almost totally worthless. The only reason I have it is for the piece that allows "mobile uploads" directly to Facebook. Other than that, the app is worthless. And even the mobile upload piece can't get the photo orientation right.

On the iPhone, which my wife taunts me with, you can view news feeds, and more importantly, look at photos as though they were on your own phone (by sliding through the photos by flicking your finger left or right). It is not even possible to view photos using the Facebook app for the Blackberry. I must use the mobile Facebook site & the browser.

I see that RIM is trying to compete with an app store. It seems to me this effort needs to be headed up with folks with a little more imagination and higher standards. I can't imagine the project manager/developer of this app even uses it.

Is this harsh enough? Anyone else agree?

Joseph W. Szarmach Jr.

Stratford, CT

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Facebook App

Yep, harsh enough. 

And not in the correct section of this forum, as well.

So, do you have any questions? You will notice this is a community support forum, in which those who need assistance will post questions and other kind and knowledgeable volunteer users will help. Keyword there being "support". 

If you only want to voice your displeasure, you've done so.

There is a more advanced version of Facebook app for the BlackBerry not too far away... version 1.6, hopefully not too far away.

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/05/28/facebook-16-screenshots-update-likely-not-today/

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JoeInCT

Whoops. Saw "Feedback and Ideas" on the forum header and went for it. Hmmm. Will copy/paste this somewhere else, if I can find an official place for feedback.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I've already asked that it be moved to the AppWorld section... or device software section.

No need to copy paste.. and double post it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Hi JoeInCT!

It seems you very frustrated with facebook apps on BlackBerry!! As JSanders mentions you've already informed your disliking via this forum. 

Once an apps is developed it can be modified/upgraded to meet the meed of the consumes...I believe RIM will also do it for you and others. iPhone's apps may be already gone through some sort of development since it's first launch...just wait and see what RIM does for its avid users.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

the Facebook app for BlackBerry is fabulous for features that are not available on the regular website :
- integration of Facebook Friends with BlackBerry Contacts (mail, phone, avatar)
- integration of Facebook Events With BlackBerry Calendar

for all the rest, I prefer to use the BlackBerry browser and go to http://m.facebook.com/ that does all you say and more.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
princessln32

Try downloading 'Opera Mini' to your BB.  I had the same frustrations with Facebook on my BB as you until I downloaded Opera Mini.  I don't know how to explain it very well, but basically once downloaded, you can go to sites and pull them up and they are mini versions of what you would see on a computer screen.  Then you just click on the portion you want to zoom in on, and it zooms very well.  Opera Mini actually has the Facebook site listed as one of it's bookmarks, so it's extremely easy to play on Facebook.  I really like Mini for other sites that's normally don't come up very well, for me, these are American Eagle, MySpace, etc.  I don't like the MySpace app for BB's either-just doesn't seem as advanced as I want it to be lol.  Anyways, give Opera Mini a chance, I think you'll  like it.
Please use plain text.