Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Gerry_eh
My Device: Bold 9700
Accepted Solution

Facebook for OS6 on Bold 9700 - Display issue

I just upgraded my 9700 to OS6 and really like it, except for one problem. I have an issue with the Facebook app (Version 1.9.0.28), which seems to think I have a larger screen than I actually do. Perhaps it was written for the Torch?

When vertically scrolling through the Facebook Newsfeeds, the selection cursor is seldom on the screen - often on the previous update that is off the screen. This makes it almost impossible to tell if I'm commenting, liking, clicking a photo, or visiting someone's profile.

Then while trying to get the cursor to stop on a selection that's actually visible in the window, the screen scrolls rapidly and uncontrollably, leaving the post I was reading somewhere far behind. This never occurred with OS5.

Is there a control I can change for the application, or better yet, will there be an upgrade for this application that recognizes the hardware/software combination? The current setup is pretty useless.

mazzteck
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

Re: Facebook for OS6 on Bold 9700 - Display issue

In response to the post above, i would like to say that facebook on my Bold 9700 and on my Pearl 9105 3G also scrolls TOOO FAST !! its making facebook less fun to use.....

C'mon blackberry team send out a FIX !!!

New Contributor
kizzy6987
My Device: curve 9300

you need facebook version 2.0 if your using os 6 on blackberry i have written up a step by step guide to do this as best as i can

to get facebook 2.0 for os 6 blackberry

- Please create a backup of your device information prior to installing Facebook 2.0, such that your data can be restored if issues are encountered upon loading the software.

- Register your details including your BB PIN on https://www.blackberry.com/beta (best to do this on PC first)

- Then varify your account through the email which should have been sent upon completing your registration

- Now log into your account on blackberry beta zone

- Check under “Eligible Programs” on the right hand side to find Facebook 2.0 for BlackBerry smartphones beta program! This will only appear if you qualify for this (NOTE: though this version is currently only available for OS 6.0 users, stay tuned for future updates which will include support for other codelines)

- Under the first section that is titled 'Keycodes for Facebook v2.0' click on the address https://www.blackberry.com/beta/downloads/chooseAppLanguage/645/2214 shown in the first bullet point

- Choose your language, hit submit.  agree to software eligibility declaration, hit submit.  again click i agree, hit submit.  

- You should now be directed to the following page https://www.blackberry.com/beta/downloads/view/645/2214 which is the best point to now using your blackberry smartphone itself

- Log into blackberry beta zone on your blackberry smartphone You should now be looking at the same page from here click the download button at the bottom of the page

- You should now be going through the downloading process and will ask to reboot your phone when finish downloading on your blackberry smartphone

- When phone is back on go into the facebook app, just above where you accept it will ask for a keycode, this should have arrived in your email inbox

- Come out of the app, log onto your email through the blackberry smartphone and open the email you now have to select and copy the keycode

- Go back to the app back to the section where it has keycode just above the accept button and paste it (please note, you may have to type the keycode manually as i did, as it wouldnt paste which is a pain and is time consuming)

- Once the keycode has been fully entered then click i accept and you should now be connected to facebook 2.0 for os 6

I HAVE MADE THIS FROM MEMORY SO APOLOGIES IF ANYTHING MIGHT NOT BE 100% BUT I AM SURE THIS WILL HELP :smileyvery-happy:

New Contributor
Gerry_eh

You typed all that from memory??? That's a heckuva memory.

Just installed the beta and with only a single workaround to force the generation of the keycode. It went smoothly and seems to resolve the scrolling/display problem. Now I just have to figure out all the new options.

Thanks so much for your help!

Note to anyone else who tries it: Read the screen carefully and be prepared to back out of the installation one time to force the emailing of the beta keycode. It's a workaround to get the delayed (and required) keycode to arrive.

New Contributor
kizzy6987

i had only just done it myself so was still fresh in my memory lol

glad it helped :smileyvery-happy:

and wasnt too sure if the keycode would come straight through but at least you've cleared that up lol

happy to have helped, enjoy!!

New Contributor
Gerry_eh

By the way, I see you had to type the keycode manually because it wouldn't paste, That IS a heckuva memory. I had the same problem initially, but did the paste instead by holding down the Select button until the new OS6 popup blue menu appeared. The Paste option worked from that screen. RIM is aware of this inconsistency.

New Contributor
kizzy6987

i wish my memory was that good lol no i had the email with the keycode showing on my laptop as i typed it into my phone, its all good am just happy its resolved lol

Visitor
RapidEmu

[ Edited ]

I had exactly the same problem described here since 'upgrading' from a perfectly working OS 6.0.0.570 to a bug-filled and very annoying version 6.0.0.668. 

I am already using Facebook 2.0.0.50 so the beta route does not work for me. Eventually I found that deleting the Facebook app and then re-installing it has cured the scrolling bug. 

Hopefully this is the last fix I will have to do for a while. I wish I'd never upgraded, I had no idea that the 'upgrade' would change the menu system on my phone and stop half my apps working. I should not have to spend hours messing about with my handset just to get it to do the things it used to do last week!  I also had to re-install Blackberry App World and go through a variety of test procedures to re-set my GPS before that would work again. In desperation I tried to uninstall the latest version and reload my old OS but the desktop software freezes and won't let me do it. So I'm stuck with the new OS that I don't like and a load of apps with bugs in that were fine before. 

I don't have time for this.

It shouldn't be up to customers to find helpful and friendly individuals on these forums to sort out bugs created by the RIM software developers.