If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
antoniordaniel
My Device: Not Specified

Featured Apps emailed links is a joke. Any ideas?

I've been trying to acquire the yahoo messenger app since I got my 8310 a week or so ago.  For one, if you search for Yahoo messenger in app world, it doesn't come up.  Weird eh? What gives?  So, I go to the appworld website and lo and behold I see that yahoo messenger is a featured app. 

I select the yahoo box and I am instructed to enter an email address that I use with my blackberry and I will be sent links to begin dowloading.  I immediately get emailed a link that looks legit: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/690/Yahoo!+Messenger. 

However, that link is bogus... when I try to open it on my blackberry it takes me to the "Thanks for your interest in blackberry appworld.... download."  If I open the link on my computer it redirects to me their "refer a friend" page. So I went back and tried to load other featured apps... same story. 

Ridiculous.  Anyone else have any ideas?  

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Featured Apps emailed links is a joke. Any ideas?

Yahoo Messenger is available (at least on my device) from the current version of App World. Make sure you are on the latest version (there was a recent update) of App World. Go here to initate the installation of the new App World:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/download.jsp#tab_tab_download

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
antoniordaniel

Thanks, but I just reinstalled appworld yesterday so I assume I'm current.  Yahoo did not appear in searches either before or after the reinstall.  At this point I am simply unable to get yahoo messenger for my blackberry.  It's extremely frustrating not because I care so much about instant messaging but because I know it works for other people and I don't understand what's wrong. 
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Check your version of App World...it should be 1.0.0.30. I find Yahoo Messenger in the Social Networking & Sharing category.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
antoniordaniel

I don't know how to check my version.  But yahoo is definitely not in the social networking category in my appworld.  There are 35 apps in my Social Networking and Sharing section. How many are in yours?  thanks.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You can check your version in whatever the equivalent is on your specific device. On mine (Storm), I select the Options icon on my homescreen, then Advanced Options, then Applications. The app list builds and shows the version of each app installed.

I have 29 apps available in that category.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
antoniordaniel

Yes, I do have the current version.  Possibly yahoo is not available for the Curve 8310.  I appreciate your help.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Possibly...I've not really heard (nor, TBH, dug into) if the specific apps are OK for specific devices. But, given that you are seeing a different list than I see, then I would surmise that you are correct and that App World is showing you apps that are compatible with your device -- and hiding those that are not.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.