Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
charlestw
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: Code Blue Communications
Accepted Solution

GPS Speach

Hi, given the BlackBerry is a business tool & part of business is getting from A to B, why doesn't the BlackBerry work as an in car GPS?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: GPS Speach

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Some do, some do not. If your BB model includes an internal GPS radio AND if you have an appropriate NAV app, then it certainly can function as you desire (there are more prerequisites, of course). But, if your BB model does not include an internal GPS radio, then there's nothing that can overcome that limitation. So it varies by device.

Is there something specific about your situation that your question does not yet reveal? We'd like to help, but details from you are what help us understand and hopefully provide useful information for you.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
charlestw

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I've got a 9380 and would like to be able to use it as an in car GPS with speach, it seems fine when using it walking in terms of accuracy & detail.  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh! So your GPS and NAV app actually works, they just work differently when walking versus driving? Please do then expand on your description...as this sounds completely different now than you first indicated. What exactly happens when you are driving?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
charlestw

Hi, I haven't used it in the car as it doesn't speak and therefore is of no use.  When walking obviously I can stop & work out where I am & follow the direction of the arrow to my destination.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ah, OK...no I think I am understanding. Your NAV app works fine, but you desire for it to provide route guidance with speech rather than having to look at the screen. Got it.

OK...well, you've not revealed the actual name of your NAV app, so it's a little difficult to tell you if that should or should not even be possible. But, if you look into the capabilities of the app (research the website of the app, published by the developer) as well as within the options for the app, then if you find nothing about that function, then you need to seek out a different NAV app that perhaps does have the features you desire.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
charlestw

As far as I can tell there aren't any for BlackBerry, which is where my question started out from, "why there aren't any GPS speech apps on a (so called) business tool" when there are on all other smart phones.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Yes, clearly I have not understood you from the start...thanks for clearing it up.

"why" questions are awfully hard to give any real answer to. But, my opinion is that apps are developed by a developer community, who are not affiliated with BlackBerry. Each developer makes choices as to what platforms they will support. Very few developers choose to support all platforms.

But I'm relatively sure that there are speech-enabled NAV apps for some BlackBerry devices...I don't know specifically which will work for you, but I recommend you do some searching to find one. Make sure you are looking at ALL compatibility requirements -- your specific device model number, OS level, carrier, and country. If you are depending on the "out-of-the-box" included apps for that function and are not finding it, then you need to widen your search.

If you have a particularly favorite NAV app that you'd like to be supported on your platform, then you'd want to ask the developer about that as it's their choice to make concerning what platforms they desire to support.

But, again in answer to your "why" question, it's the developers who make those choices, not BlackBerry.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
charlestw

Many thanks for your feedback, I'll do some searching when I have a moment & if I find something that works will post here.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent...I'm sure everyone will appreciate it. FYI...since your question is specifically seeking out downloaded apps, I'm going to ask that this thread be moved to the proper section of this site:

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.