Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
athilla
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Bell

Google Maps not working after BB Os upgrade / What else can I use to show traffic on map?

Hi All,

I just upgraded the OS on my Bold 9000 and now google maps crahes at the "terms and conditions" screen ("serious error:, then closes).  I've tried the JAD fixes to no luck.  From what I am reading this is a known issue, but I don't see any indication that Google will fix the issue.  In ther inteim, what app can I use to overlay traffic information ono a graphical map?  (BB maps does not seem to have this feature).  This was such an amazingly useful feature and I am very sad now... :smileysad: Can someone advise on 1. Will the issue be fixed 2. Do I have a real alternative to Google Maps to overlay traffic onto a map?

Thanks!

Athilla

Montreal, Canada

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Google Maps not working after BB Os upgrade / What else can I use to show traffic on map?

1. I don't know if the issue will be fixed.

2. you live in one of the two countries in the world where BlackBerry Trafic is available. Give it a try ! http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/13110/?lang=en

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
athilla

Re: Google Maps not working after BB Os upgrade / What else can I use to show traffic on map?

Thanks for #2. I tried BB traffic and it's interesting for sure. But what I am looking for is something which will visually show the traffic conditions around the city like on Google maps... So I can plan my travels visually. BB traffic only seems to show traffic on the plotted routes (unless I am missing something). Can it overlay onto BB maps? Is anything available which will do that? Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

BlackBerry Maps has the ability to import KML layers. So if you find a KML traffic provider for your region, yes, you will be able to view the traffic as a layer in BB Maps.

As far as I know, this cannot be done with BB Traffic. But since I am not living in a country where BB Traffic is available, I am not sure.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
athilla

Thanks - I'll look into it further (quick seach on the web does not seem to give me a quick link for a KML provider for Canada/Quebec).  Does anyone know what Google uses as their KLM provider?  It would be nice if BB maps would support traffic overlay natively like Google Maps does... I think people would adopt it much faster .. Anyway, just my two cents.  Thanks all

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

Google is its own KML provider... they have partnerships with several traffic monitoring companies.

Remember that Google is far ahead of RIM in the maps business. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.