Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
arpiat
My Device: Z10

Help with BBM Groups

Hello all,

My question pertains to BBM groups which isn't specific to either BlackBerry 10 nor BlackBerry 7 and earlier, and I was not sure which one forum location would be appropriate for this question, so I opted to post it to the Downloaded Software section in both the BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry 7 and earlier spaces.  My appologies if this was not "the right way to do it".

My question is one that I also posted on CrackBerry.com forums but after some time it seems I may stumped the community over there with this one.

Here is what I wrote over there:

"I recently created two BBM Groups and posted them here on CrackBerry with minor fuss. Yay for me. In each forum post I included a QR Code / Bar code of each BBM Group so as to make them easier to join. Yay for me again.

What I realised thereafter was that though this makes joining easy for anyone reading the posts from a screen other than their BlackBerrys, it does NOT make it easy for someone actually reading the thread from their BlackBerry and thinking to themselves "Oh hey, I want to join that group". At least, not that I can tell. I don't think it's possible to scan a QR code on your BlackBerry screen from the same BlackBerry, right? That's my assumption. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know, that would solve my issue.

SO, if I am right in my assumption and one cannot scan a QR / Bar code from one's own BlackBerry when said code appears on the BlackBerry's own screen, I am looking for another way to make it easy for someone reading the post to just "tap or click here" to join the group, to make as easy for someone who would be scanning the QR / Bar code from another source.

I tried getting the text URL for the group from the code and pasting it into a thread, but when it comes up in the CrackBerry app on the BlackBerry, the link is not clickable / tappable. I then tried adding the CrackBerry post editor tool's "Link" too to make the URL text an actual URL, though the only effect that had was that the URL appears clickable / tappable in the BlackBerry's CrackBerry app, but tapping / clicking on it has no effect. After making this change I tried to view the same thread post in my browser both on computer and on the Z10. When I click it DOES react but on the Z10 browser I just get a message "Unable to open bbg:<yadda yadda>".

So I've shared a lot of detail but the point I am really focused on is "is there a way for BlackBerry users to be able to join my BBM Group, on their own, as easily as if they had scanned the bar code, when all they have access to is the phone itself, and no outside media from which to scan the code"?

I am trying to avoid things like "Send me your PIN" and such because that just creates so many more steps and acts as a barrier to entry. Similarly, I don't see myself telling the reader "Just take this bar code you see here, and arrange to print or display it somewhere other than on your BlackBerry screen and then scan it".

Any input on this would be most appreciated!"

Essentially, I'd like to be able to post something that a BlackBerry user can look at on their BlackBerry, and tap / click on it, and boom they're done (i.e. they are at the same place they would be if they had instead just scanned the QR code).

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Help with BBM Groups

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to do this and I don't believe there is a way.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only users can get in without input from you is to display the barcode on something else and then scan it with their BlackBerry.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
arpiat
My Device: Z10

I won't lie, I have been considering that may indeed be the case: that it "can't be done".  

Sometimes I look at "can't be done" things as "can't be done yet but maybe will be doable in the future if a case can be made for it".

So, if, as it turns out, this can't be done, my next question is "is there a case for it"? As in, would it make sense to make it easy for BlackBerry users browsing web sites in their BB browser and in their apps, to simply tap / click a link they come across to join a BBM Group, in the same way that it's already super easy for them to scan a QR / Bar Code they find on their computer's web browser, or on someone nearby's BlackBerry or other Smartphone browser?

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

I think there is a case for it. With any luck someone from BlackBerry will see the suggestion and will pass it along.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

arpiat wrote:

I tried getting the text URL for the group from the code and pasting it into a thread, but when it comes up in the CrackBerry app on the BlackBerry, the link is not clickable / tappable. I then tried adding the CrackBerry post editor tool's "Link" too to make the URL text an actual URL, though the only effect that had was that the URL appears clickable / tappable in the BlackBerry's CrackBerry app, but tapping / clicking on it has no effect. After making this change I tried to view the same thread post in my browser both on computer and on the Z10. When I click it DOES react but on the Z10 browser I just get a message "Unable to open bbg:<yadda yadda>".

can you give more information about this? Maybe the issue is that you did not copy paste the link correctly?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: