Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
sielski666
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Orange UK

How to get Facebook Places working on your blackberry

ok so i was a victim my self with this new addition to the facebook app. we all know that the most conmen problem with it was the fact the Check box for sharing your location with "facebook places" is shaded and in that result you get the message "your location is temporarily unavailable".

I found out that the facebook application actually depends on the blackberry maps that comes on your phone or is downloaded. I think this is overlooked by the help on the blackberry support forum and is HIGHLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION for us blackberry users, old and new.

so in this post i am going to walk you through how i figured out how to get the application to sync with the facebook places:

step1:

copy this url: www.facebook.com/places/. then on the screen that loads up it should ask you (if you haven already) to start shearing your location, in the area marked below in the screenshot:

print1.png

Step2:

Make sure the places feature is ENABLED in your facebook, online. To do this you will need to go to: Account > Privacy settings and click "customise settings", this is shown in the picture below:-

print1.png

Step3:

next the screen that will load has a list of all the customisations you can make for your privacy, the only ones we are interested in are the "places i check into" & the "Enable" box. Make sure the "places i check into" box (circle in red) is set to everyone and the "Enable" (also circled in red) is checked.

print1.png

Facebook App

I recently found out that the facebook app uses your blackberry maps as the location pin-point helper. As you search your location on the facebook app is uses the maps to show where you are. As i found my maps were taken off my 8900 i had to install them again.

However i came across a problem while doing a ota (over the air) download of the blackberry site.

if this does accrue then plug your blackberry into your pc and open up the desktop manager and choose the application sub heading.

this will load up all apps on your phone and the ones that were also on previously. once loaded scroll down till you find it and click the plus button then apply.

wait for install and it will reboot automatically.   

SO there are Two things i did to get the shaded check box to be unshaded:-

1. install the blackberry maps (as facebook NEEDS this)

2. opened blackberry maps and started navigation.

^ in the second action i found that by opening and starting the navigation it makes your phone active on the GPS. this will take a few mins to find the satellites and once done, your location will apear on your blackberry maps.

for some strange reason, beyond my knowing this seems to work. i have tested stopping the navigation and facebook places still works. you will also realise that the shaded box, is no long shaded. 

* hope this helps people with the prople of the Facebook Places feature, please feel free to ask questions*

Give a little to Get a little.....Give Kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
momma2twinboyz
My Device: World Edition 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to get Facebook Places working on your blackberry

I have done all this but the box is still shaded gray.

Please use plain text.
njames2000
My Device: Not Specified

I tried all this and it didn't work...BUT THE FOLLOWING DOES:

Press applications

Press Maps (NOT google maps, Maps has a little compass icon.)

Start Gps by pressing the little icon in maps.  After it finds the satellite, leave maps again.

Start Facebook and Places will now work!

It worked for me on a Blackberry Storm and I tried everyting else first

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nataliebloomfield
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have tried this it didn't work for me!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sielski666
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Orange UK

[ Edited ]

@njames2000

I actually for got to mebtion that. if you leave maps running while connected to the satellites then in picks it up. i wont add it to my first post tho as it will be more confussing.

@natalliebloomfield

try what njames2000 did and also did u follow the step of going to www.facebook.com/places and checking if you have accepted the sharing location option on the main site from a pc or laptop?

also remember its always good, once you have selected "share location with facebook" on the main site to do a battery pull. then fallow njames2000 steps aswell.

kind regards

sielski666

Give a little to Get a little.....Give Kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nataliebloomfield
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

i don't have any gps icon in my maps.

I've looked in there.

I did the facebook thing from my laptop, but when  i went to www.facebook.com/places/ nothing came up in the right hand corner like you suggested.

Please use plain text.
Treeole13

In addition to all the suggestions (checking Facebook settings, download Maps, etc), I also had to manually "turn on" the GPS in my phone settings. For the Storm: go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS, then under GPS Services I had to change mine from "E911 only" to "Location On" Also the first time you use maps, make sure you are in a clear location where it can locate a satellite. I had to go outside of my all-brick building. Hope this helps!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KevE
My Device: Storm

Install Blackberry Maps on your phone.

Start Maps and then get it to show your location or start navigaiton and this will force it to get a satelite lock.

Then switch applicaitons to Facebook (leaving maps running with a satelite lock) and press your places icon. 

It should all work after a few sections.

Locations on the Storm relies on Blackberry Maps being installed. It also appears to reply on Blackberry Maps running and having a Satellite lock on your current position before places will work for you.

Regards

Kev

West Australian Networks Pty Ltd,
Internet Service Providers
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
b4Blonde

In options my location sharing box is shaded gray so I can't check it. I started Bb maps, battery pull, deleting Bb Fb & still nothing! My places check-in on my Bb Curve 8520 was working fine until 4 days ago. Plz plz someone help. I'm so frustrated. This is my 1st BlackBerry & I think my last! I don't know if I should blame Blackberry or Facebook.....
Please use plain text.
sammie1988

hi there

thanks for your help it has been brilliant only thing is i have got blackberry maps i am guessing it is the one that is all ready downloaded on the blackberry. the only thing is i cannot find the start navigation on it, or do i have to go to blackberry app world and download a different map application.

thanks for your help.

sam

Please use plain text.