Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Ameza
My Device: Playbook

Re: How to read non Kobo purchased epubs on the Playbook

Hi, I hope this site can help you guys reading yours epub files, by the moment it is a possible solution

I'm sure in a very short time RIM will develop a special App for that.

Please try it         http://www.epubbooks.com/eBook-readers/bookworm-online-reader

Contributor
jamesgoodchild
My Device: Torch

Interesting but doesn't really help.  Where I mostly want to read books is in places where I don't have access to WiFi - airplanes for example.  I've got 50+ books already in epub format and only a small subset of those are available on Kobo and even then, I'd have to repurchase them.  I did try the ePub to PDF conversion, but the layout is very difficult to read.  The formatting and font control aren't there and if you make the PDF bigger, you end up scrolling side to side.

What I would love to see is Stanza for the Playbook.  I have it for the iPad/iPod and love it.

Contributor
michaelwhyte

Thank you Ameza for the tip....Although not as convientent as a native app...and only being available to read your ebooks when internet access is available is a bit of a downer....but at least this somewhat gives us the ability to view our epub ebooks on the Blackberry Playbook...

So I really appreciate your help...I will check this site out and return here with some thoughts on the website...

RIM, Kobo,  Adobe or Stanza please give us a native app that will allow us to read our epub ebooks...

Contributor
jamesgoodchild
My Device: Torch

I should mention that I do appreciate the original poster suggesting this. It is just that I need/want functionality that just isn't in this tablet as Kobo doesn't work for me if I can't bring my existing books over and Adobe is way too limited in its current release to be viable and I need to be able to read books while away from the net.
bodi0077
My Device: blackberry playbook

I've searched all over, at this time I don't believe there is a simple way. I think in time more readers will be developed for the playbook, I'm just waiting.
New Contributor
terrybl2
My Device: playbook

I'm in the same situation with my new Playbook with Kobo do not have any french writer in there library.

Let's hope we will have a software to read pdf file were we can put book make and comment.

Let us know....

Contributor
michaelwhyte

[ Edited ]

So I checked out the Bookworm site...

The Bookworm site which can be found at http://bookworm.oreilly.com  ...or if you prefer the mobile version of the site it can be accessed  here... http://m.bookworm.oreilly.com ...

In my opinion the site worked pretty well as a ebook reader...I tested the mobile version of the website and the books seemed to be displayed nicely and pretty much fullscreen on the Playbook....The fonts were nice and clean and you can zoom in on the text...You can also change the font size as well as change the font from a serif to a sans serif font...

In order to read books on the site you have to upload books to the site in the epub format...I uploaded two books with no problems...You first have to open a free account...The books I uploaded were DRM free so I am not sure about DRM epub books...

The program keeps track of the chapter you are on for the books that you have started reading...Although I found with the books that I uploaded that the website seems to load a chapter of a book on to a single page...which you then scroll down continously until the end of the chapter...At the end of the chapter  there is a link to the next and previous chapters as well as links to the other chapters in the book...

The  site seems to only save the current chapter you are reading and since the chapters load as a single page I can not seem to figure out a way to save your exact spot in the book...This is no big deal for me, but I could see this being an issue for some....If anyone knows of a way to have the site create pages for the chapters instead of just a single long page please let me know...

Until Amazon, Adobe, RIM or anyone creates an ebook reader that allows us to read epub ebooks  not obtained from the Kobo store then this website maybe our only alternative to read epub ebooks not obtained from the Kobo store on the Playbook...

I am hoping that the Kobo reader for the Playbook will hopefully in the future offer the ability to read epubs that were not purchased from the Kobo store on the Playbook...

Thanks again for everyones response to this thread... Always appreciated...

mfoliot

I used this epub to PDF utility.  Worked great thanks

Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Try one of EPUB readers: SVIT, EPUB reader or PlayEPUB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g, 2-z10's

I tried epub and playpub and neither work.  I can see the books in books but the playbook programs do not recognise the language ascm