Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
novasian
My Device: Bold 9530

Re: How to use Blackberry as Wireless Router?

RIM should ask their engineers to create a native app what would turn the Bb devices into wireless hotspots, or at least make the software "open enough" so developers can write such app for these devices. 

I used to be a Bb believer; had a Curve, then Bold.  But I switched to an Android device a few years back, downloaded a hotspot widget and have been connecting 3+ wifi devices to my LG for Internet access ever since.  In my opinion, RIM is behind the times.  Dual-core devices have been out for a while, yet RIM hasn't been able to deliver a phone with a dual-core processor.  (Or am I missing something?)

Anyway, back to the topic. Your best bet would bet getting an Android or iOS device as there's a better chance for your to find an app that would turn the phone into a hotspot device.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Juggoire
My Device: Curve 8520

I'm already on the verge of dropping my BlackBerry in the bin. I've loved it's messaging capabilities, but it's just too limited in every other way.

For information, the iPhone 3 and 4 have WiFi router capabilities as do all of the current Android options.

Just another nail in RIM's market share's coffin.

Come on, RIM! I love your device, but how can you seriously expect anyone to stay with you when you stay so far behind the curve (excuse the pun)?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TRH-DC
My Device: 9930 (34, CDMA, Wi-Fi) v7.0.0.254

This comment reads very close to one submitted several months ago.  I am glad that a few weeks back Blackberry's new operating system added WiFi router capability and I have found it easy to use and effective.  Only issue is that the new operating system creates  greater demands on battery -- and running the WiFi capability can run the battery down in a matter of a few hours.  Otherwise, I am quite happy with the new capability.

I also like the new "GPS w/ voice" app the new OS will support.  Helped me find my way a few times.  

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
kosten4
My Device: BB Bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Whoever moans about Blackberry and its functionality just don't get its philosophy. Every single person has his own preferable things, why are you trying to change our minds? You like this, I like that, it's simple. No need of such posts, because it is so personel.
Blackberry! Here, now, forever!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
soggycornflake
My Device: Bold 9970

Regardless of, "what you like", it is still common knowledge that Blackberries are by far the least capability rich smart phones on the market. The keyboard is about all they have going for them now. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jstavene
My Device: torch 9810

Actually I traded in a Palm Pre

which I was able to use as a wifi hotspot using,,?free tether (or tetherme)

I too am dissapointed with the blackberry torch had I known how sensetive the screen is to temp (I am a welder ,robot welder tech and myscreen cracked,, just from heat)

The lack of wifi connectivity out to other devices (tethering by wifi is pathetic,,

This is my last blackberry I have had other,, most recently a curve which worked well ,,

but the palm pre blew them away,, so when a torch came up,, I though I like them, they are solid performers,,

nope,, absolutely painful,,, the one I got was neutered,,most bluetooth function disabled by carrier (att, bought out my carrier and att neuters the phones badly)

its a shame the gps works about the best I have seen, the graphics ,, well no flash support sucks,,,

uhm the camera, I think 5 mega pixel? works nice,,, and I like the keyboards,,and the touch screen worked well until it cracked,,,

uhm

I use linux, and windows pc's mainly with bluesoliel mostly for bluetooth ,, my laptop and server connect well enough for tethering with bluetooth and usb,, but wifi,, would be awesome,, my nook color would be nice to tether to the phone,,, (ebooks)

Blackberry used to be a class act, the absolute best,, the rolls royce,,,

now,,

the droid phones have more software options,, (blackberry is so proprietary and then a carrier may neuter them more,,,)

for a experienced user who can reload a bricked phone,,, the blackberry is now just not meaty enough and lacks capability,,,

(and the plasticy feel of the battery cover is tuperware like,,)

hmm I am dissapointed,,,

Please use plain text.
S2
New Contributor
S2
My Device: Blackberry 9900

@TRH-DC. Please can you send me the link to download the os that enables wifi tethering/wifi on the blackberry phone?
Please use plain text.
JeremyY168
My Device: bold 9700

how can you know of no smart phone that can be used as a wireless router!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just used an i phone4S today to link my ipad and printer on a jobsite! Im very disapointed with my BB

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trinhf
My Device: 9000

Hello from France,

Well ! I hope that RIM engineers read the forum some time. My entire fleet of 24 units of 9860 torch devices users are disapointed.

Per my fleet manager positions, I have to go back to my provider to negotiate to change another device.

Very poor sound quality, battery life too short, no ability to tether Wifi hotspot.

Please use plain text.
yshayyshay
My Device: 9700

Hi,

Does anyone knows If Rim solved this already?

I just recieved my FIrst BB 9700 and I want to connect my laptop to the WiFi.

Any other solutions? maybe as a modem usuing bluetooth ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.