Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

sagarshah
My Device: Bold 9700

How to use Blackberry as Wireless Router?

I am using a Blackberry Bold 9700. I would like to use the internet on my bold (3G) on my wireless enabled device (eg an ipod touch). Basically, I would like to know if there is way to sort of turn the blackberry phone into a wireless router. This would mean that wfi enabled devices would be able to connect to my phone using wifi, and use the 3g/2g internet connection on my phone to connect to the internet. I know there is an application for windows mobile enabled devices, it's called WMWifiRouter. Please can someone show me a way to do it on the blackberry. It is very important.

Thank you very much.

Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: How to use Blackberry as Wireless Router?

Hi sagarshah and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

You cannot use the BlackBerry smartphone as a wireless router for other devices.  You can however tether it to a PC to obtain internet access.  You will have to contact your wirless service provider regarding using your BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Kingdong1124
My Device: Not Specified

Why not?

That is very disappointing.

The Iphone can do it! Windows phones can do it! Windows phones .. Ugg get with the programm people. I have been a long time blackberry user but now I feel there are better options on the market. Faster, easier and with more options.

Contributor
pip22
My Device: Bold 9900

A router let's you connect several networking devices to it simultaneously - I know of no smartphone which can manage that, not even the iPhone. You evidently misundestand what a router is.
medic2254

I believe they are talking about the new iphone 4 that is due out on Verizon network in February of 2011.  It will be set up as a wifi hotspot router that will support five devices at once.

Visitor
scottmcarthur
My Device: Torch 9800

I believe that most Android phones can do this.  I know that I have seen several Spring 4G android phones that  can and one 3g android that can.  I am pretty bummed that there is not something like this for a blackberry yet either.  I have been a dedicated blackberry user for about 6 years now and just got a new Torch, but I think that I am leaning towards a new android phone next with a better camera, more memory, faster processor, better screen, slider keyboard and touch screen with a swipe enabled on screen keyboard (google it if you have not seen it, it is pretty awesome)

Heck, they even have some that will take a full size bluetooth keyboard, mouse and have an HDMI port for a monitor or TV.  Mix that with a good webkit, flash and a 4g connection, that could be all I need.

Visitor
firefighterguy

[ Edited ]

@pip22, I am affraid you underestimate the intelligence and knowledge base here. I registered here to try and find out about this very thing for my wife's BB Curve 9330. I personally have a Droid X. And I have also had Windows Mobile (now Windows Phone). All of which can turn your WIFI mode into a router. As we speak, I have my wife's laptop, my PSP, and my neighbor (who I let connect when I have it on) connected to my hotspot FROM MY PHONE. Windows has, just like the OP said, an app called WMWIFIRouter. I have used it when I had Windows Mobile. Now that I have a Droid, I can STILL do it. I can either do it with the native app on the phone or I can root my Droid and get a wireless tether app. The Windows Mobile also had something called "Walking Hotspot" which would make your WIFI mode into a "router" or hotspot like all the others I have talked about and the OP as well. If you don't believe me, by all means, come over so I can show you. And while you're here you can have a bite of "humble pie." You, sir, need to get your facts straight.

New Contributor
MrScottTX

The motorola android can serve as a wireless router. A friend has one and I set up a Wifi connection using my blackberry (testing) and using my iTouch while we were in the car.
New Contributor
Linuhx

Dame, Blackberry should relase this in an update like maybe os 6.1?
New Contributor
drkcope
My Device: Tour

apparently you can order a portable battery powered router and hook your blackberry to it and it will serve as a wifi hotspot for your other wifi devices. i am going to try it i will let you know how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/CradlePoint-PHS300-Personal-Hotspot-Wireless/dp/B001212ELY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...