Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
elikem
My Device: Torch9800
Accepted Solution

I am unable to restore my address book

I backed up data on my blackberry torch. I am now trying to restore and it does everything perfectly but unable to restore my contacts. The notification i get is a dimming of the address book making it impossible to highlight or tick it for restoration.

It then adds a note beneath saying, dimmed files are read-only data and cannot be stored.

What this means is that each time i backup it makes my contacts read-only.

anybody with solution to why and how to solve this?

kTk
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: I am unable to restore my address book

Open the address book on the device. Hit the menu key and go into Settings. Turn off wireless sync in the settings and then try the restore again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
elikem

Hello John,

thanks a million for your assistance but my problem seem to still persist.

When i open the address book on my device and click on options/settings, I see nothing in relation to wireless sync to let alone turn it off. All that comes is 

"contact display and actions"

"Recent activities"

kTk
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Open the settings and in one of those menu items is a place where you can turn on/off wireless sync.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
elikem

Should the device be connected to the computer while i do this, because I am so freaking out here for fear of loosing over 1892 contacts
kTk
Guru I
John_Clark

Did you get this sorted out? I see you've marked a few posts as solutions.

I've got a device in front of me to look at now. Below the two menu options you listed above should be your contact list. Click on that and you should have a setting for wireless sync. Disable it. Once disabled go ahead and try the restore of the contacts again.
Contributor
elikem

It worked perfectly, however, i further wish to ask if there is a way you could restore the contacts without necesarily replacing the existing ones on the device?

kTk

kTk
Guru I
John_Clark

Nope. When you restore a backup it overwrites the database.