Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
jaystef
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: MTS
Accepted Solution

I want my BBM back!!! BBM contacts switched between two phones I own, my wife and mine

Hey my wife's friends are nice but I don't need to be in their chats... I have 2 bb Torch 9800. For no apparent reason about 3 month's ago the bbm contacts got swapped between them for no reason. I have been in contact with my phone provider and they are stumped and have said this is a bb problem.. How do I get the bbm's switched back to the proper phones?

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the apps, same old contacts..

Note: I share the same email address on both phones, could this be and issue? When I got the phones from MTS, a couple years ago they said this was fine and everything did work fine up until a couple/few months ago.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: I want my BBM back!!! BBM contacts switched between two phones I own, my wife and mine

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sharing the same email address is no problem...email systems can typically be accessed from multiple clients, and the email app on the BB is just another type of email client.

But, if you meant to say that you share the same BBID on both devices, then this indeed is likely the cause of the issue. It is unwise to associate one BBID with more than one BB SmartPhone. Odd things can happen, including intermingling of BBM contacts as has happened to you.

Since BBM7, BBM contacts are no longer stored on the device itself...rather, they are stored "in the cloud" along with the BBID. Prior to BBM7 (indeed, "a couple of years ago"), the BBM contacts were stored on the device itself, and hence would not intermingle if a BBID was shared across more than one BB device.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Decide which of the two devices will retain the existing BBID
  2. Manually cleanse the BBM contacts to reflect only what that device desires
  3. On the other BB, you need to prepare by conducting a full backup of the device, for the "fix" is going to wipe it clean
    • See the link in my auto-sig on this post for full backup instructions
  4. Once you have that backup, you need to separate this other BB from the existing BBID and create a brand new one for that device alone
    • KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone
  5. Once this is done, you can proceed to manually re-create all of the BBM contacts on the 2nd device (no, there is no way to automate this for you)

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jaystef
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: MTS

Re: I want my BBM back!!! BBM contacts switched between two phones I own, my wife and mine

I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense.

Thanks,

Jay

Please use plain text.