Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

ComputerPower
My Device: Blackberry
My Carrier: Verizon

Is Virus Protection Available for Blackberry OS?

We have a client who has had her Yahoo email comprimised two seperate times in the last couple months, and it starts sending out spam to everyone in her contact list. She insists that she never checks her email from a computer, she only does it from her Blackberry.

I have found plenty of solutions for antivirus software for Android or for Windows phones.  Not having any luck finding something helpful for a Blackberry.

Suggestions?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
midulk
My Device: blackberry curve 9300
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: Is Virus Protection Available for Blackberry OS?

Yes, macfee antivirus is available for balckberry,but it is trial version u should buy them!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
islandreamingma
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 2.1
My Carrier: Tablet

As I still cannot....after try after try make new posts of my own...I will continue to attempt to try to find similar posts relating to issues I am dealing with on my own. I was just informed by a reliable company (DHL) that I have been exposed to an infected e-mail (attachment-free). I have been told in the past that I did not need anti-virus software for my playbook as the OS takes care of such things. My ultimate question, I guess, is, am I indeed safe? Your support team has been very helpful in the past so I am hoping you can offer me advice and/or reassurance, as well as any action(s) I should take to protect my playbook. Thank-you in advance for your time and efforts in this matter.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

whta makes you think the DHL company is reliable as far as IT security is involved?

What did they say exactly?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
islandreamingma

When I called regarding the e-mail that errored upon opening...I was informed that such e-mails were being received by people, that they were indeed viruses, and that they should NOT be opened. They then apologized. Unfortunately, this was too late for me as I had opened it....that is why I had called....it had errored upon opening.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello islandreamingma,

sorry about the delay.

Here are some facts, that will help you understand better.

on the internet, as far as the web is concerned, when you go on a website with a secure URL (the address will start with https:// and not simply http:// ), then the webserver is authenticated, meaning you can know if the webserver is who they say they are.

This is the case for all banks websites for instance.

on the other hand, on the internet, regarding emails, there is not such security. If I know your email address, I can send an email pretending to be you. I can also do the same pretending to be DHL.
This is the way the email system works.

Why would people do that?
- to manipulate the recipient (for frauds)
- to trick the recipient into something else (viruses, phishing methods and so on)

so indeed, your email can contain a virus but it is not certain.
That being said, viruses can be harmful only for the target they are intended to (aviary flu does not harm fish for instance). And most viruses are targetted at the Windows OS and the Android OS.

I have never read of any virus on BlackBerry devices. And as you are aware, the hackers & pirate community are very prompt to bloat about their achievements.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
islandreamingma

[ Edited ]

I am even sorrier for an even longer delay in replying. To be honest, I thought I had. I appreciate your explanation...it put things into "layman's" terms enough for me to understand...lol. The avian flu remark was especially helpful in putting things into perspective.  Your advice actually helped me double, as I also own an Android tablet (due only to the current limited game choices for Blackberry Playbook), and I am now aware that I might want to be more diligent in watching for security issues there, however limited my use. Again, thank you for your efforts and time....and I do apologize for the huge wait for this reply. My issue here should be marked as solved.

Please use plain text.