Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
woofhavenchuck
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Let's list all the "apps" that aren't in app world!

Thanks to this forum, I have just discovered the awesome Amazon Kindle web app accessible at read.amazon.com, and it led me to wonder how many other useful "apps" are out there for the Playbook that you don't get through the App World interface. So, these would be either web apps or apps you have to install via developer mode or...is there another way to load apps.

So I'm inviting everyone to post replies to this post listing apps that you have discovered that work well on the Playbook but are not found in App World. Please include how they are installed and whether they require internet access to be used.

I'll start by repeating what I've learned here about the Amazon Cloud Reader. This is exactly what Kindle users have been waiting to see released for the Playbook as the Kindle app, but it loads as a web app rather than through App World. Cloud Reader provides a clean, Kindle-like interface within your web browser and gives access to your Kindle library. I strongly recommend loading and using it in portrait mode, which it apparently was designed for.

To install, visit https://read.amazon.com and sign in to your Amazon account. The app downloads onto your Playbook for offline use the first time you visit the sight. The "whispersync" feature if the Kindle works in this app as well. You can download titles for offline viewing, and then the app is functional without an internet connection. Just like a Kindle, you need an internet connection to browse your library or visit the Kindle store. Unlike a Kindle, though, you can read a title without downloading it.

To run the app when you are not connected to a network, just use your web browser to visit the same site, and somehow it just works, with only your previously downloaded books appearing in your library. You can make this all work just like a regular app by using the "add to home screen" option from within the browser.

Cost is free but of course you will typically pay for books purchased through the interface.

..now...your turn...
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Let's list all the "apps" that aren't in app world!

there is a Chrome version of angry birds floating around the net.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.