Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
stevens72
My Device: curve 8350
My Carrier: nextel

Re: error message

i am not sure what the data plan would do.  i haven't changed my data plan and it's been working fine for over a year.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

True enough...but all services depend on your data plan. And it certainly wouldn't be the first time that a carrier made an error, now would it? Call them. Don't let them fob you off. After all, you are paying them for services that they are not delivering.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
yogi_tiwari
My Device: 8900 Curve
My Carrier: Singtel

Re: Logging into facebook

i had the same problem. It started when I changed my facebook account security settings by doing "Account - Account Settings - Account Security - click Change. Check box (secure browsing)"

I have moved back to the previous account security profile, and no longer face this problem while accessing facebook from blackberry. I don't know what impact this will have on the security though!

Please use plain text.
biglevin
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Etisalat

"You are attempting to open a secure connection to fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net but the server’s certificate contains a different domain name a248.e.akamai.net"

Apparently there is nothing wrong with the BB Facebook application. It seems to be that Facebook moved a number of the profiles and pictures to a different address eg. from photos-a.ak.facebook.com to fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net but did not update the certificates correctly.

The good news is that your BB will not ask for the certificate if you are not accessing through a secure (https) connection. So log into your Facebook account through the web and navigate to Account/Account Settings/Account Security and make sure that "Secure Browsing (https)" is unchecked. With normal http access the annoying certificate alerts should stop popping up on your BB fb application.

Please use plain text.
AKerslake
My Device: Blackberry 9300i
My Carrier: Sprint

Did you ever find a solution to the error message? I receive the same error message & Sprint couldn't help. Let me know, thanks! Ashley

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello Ashley, I think the message right above your message gives a solution (message 14 from biglevin).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
AKerslake
My Device: Blackberry 9300i
My Carrier: Sprint

Sorry I missed that response. THANKS!! Ashley

Please use plain text.
maican_dana
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

When I'm trying to log in on my Facebook account with my Facebook application on my Blackberry appears something: You are attempting to open a secure connection to fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net but the server’s certificate contains a different domain name. And after that I have some options to choose: Continue, Close connection & View Certificate. Any option I choose it's the same thing. I want to say that I can't see any photo on my phone on Facebook and this is very embarassing. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the FB application on my phone but it's the same thing. I'd like to say that I tried even the Security option and disabled secure browsing. Please, answer me as soon as it possible. Thank you!
I'm not the only one with this problem. I must say that when I log in on my computer, I can see the photos, only on my Blackberry I can't and only on Facebook. Please fix this problem. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

[ Edited ]

maican_dana wrote:

When I'm trying to log in on my Facebook account with my Facebook application on my Blackberry appears something: You are attempting to open a secure connection to fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net but the server’s certificate contains a different domain name. And after that I have some options to choose: Continue, Close connection & View Certificate.

hello maican_dana, the explanation is easy but sad, and the fix is easy.

here is the explanation (long but each line is simple). The message means that:

1. the facebook app wants to view the pictures using HTTPS
  2. the HTTPS feature (as opposed to regular HTTP) relies on a security certificate (SSL)
  3. that certificate belongs to facebook, and is issued by a certificate authority (facebook buys the certificate to that authority)
  4. since BlackBerry is a secure device, to be able to use an SSL certificate, BlackBerry must be sure that the certificate is valid and correct, and is correctly used
  5. the certificate here is not correctly used. Basically, the error says "John Doe is using Mark Stanton's passport)

So in the end, it is Facebook's fault, who is not using the correct SSL certificate to make the pictures secure.

and now the resolution.

That being said, for item 1 above :

• the facebook app tries to use HTTPS because this is the way your facebook account is configured.
  • using HTTPS instead of HTTP for pictures in my opinion does not make your life or your facebook account more secure
  • You can configure your facebook account so that you allow it to use HTTP instead of HTTPS for pictures. Use a desktop browser and go to https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=security&section=browsing&view and uncheck the checkbox about secure browsing, and save. This means that you can continue using HTTPS to go to facebook (for example using your BlackBerry browser or your browser at work), but you can also use HTTP should you want to (here, in the Facebook app for BlackBerry)

Again I would like to point out that the Facebook app for BlackBerry behaves the way it is expected to, in fact everyone would blame it if it allowed to use that wrong certificate.

On the other hand, I fail to understand how such a big company as facebook can make such security mistakes, especially the fact that this issue has been going on for several semesters already.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.