Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
NoNamesLeft
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

MSN Messenger Not Working

I read some of the reviews under the windows live messenger and it seems I am not alone.  My contacts will not refresh, do not get notifications, etc.

Does anyone know if this is a RIMS issue?   Is it all versions of MSN Messenger having problems or just the new one?  Is there going to be a fix released in the near future, or is there some sort of fix now?  I think is is beyond terrible  there are this many people having issues and it seems RIMS is not doing anything to resolve this in a timely matter...even a statement saying they know there is a problem and are working on it would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
xursus
My Device: 8900

Re: MSN Messenger Not Working

You're not alone.

I'm having the same issues. To add to this, I started having these issues upon upgrading from 2.5.85 to 2.5.108.

The application stops refreshing its contact list, messages are not going out ( Your message could not be sent Error: Internal Server Error.), and not coming in. If you do a battery pull, it starts working fine again, but doesn't last too long. Sometimes you have to re-register the device additionaly, or refresh WLM service books. I have reinstalled the app 5+ times, with the app store and without, nothing helps. Prior to this, WLM worked almost flawlessly for 2 years. 

I just registered to add visibility to this post, otherwise it looks like it will never get picked up. 

Can somebody from RIM address this? I still have to use my blackberry until Galaxy Nexus (oh no, INFIDEL!!!) comes out. Come on,  people!

X-dlinker

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NoNamesLeft

Thanks so much for the reply.

I know, I never had a single problem with msn before all of this!  However I wonder if there might be something more going on with MSN's end.  For various reasons I have seriously been thinking of getting an iphone 4s.  I did some looking on the itunes app store and looked at their MSN reviews...they had an update a week or so before BB and the same thing, lots of negative comments about theirs "crashing" ect.

Also, I had my BB replaced by Rogers recently (faulty track pad). It has the previous messenger on it and I thought great, problem solved!  Nope, this one does not work either.  Same exact complaints as you mentioned, weird.

What bugs me most (other than an app I enjoy using on BB not working properly at the best of times) is no one is addressing any of these complaints!  Judging from the reviews, many many people are having problems....and those are just the ones taking the time to complain....it would be nice to have RIMS or someone address what is going on with one of its most popular apps.

Please use plain text.
clee666
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Me too I am having this issue all the time. The only reason I didn't switch to an iPhone was the reliability of WLM on BB vs WLM on iPhone. But with all thoses issues I don't have any reasons now.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
xursus
My Device: 8900

[ Edited ]

NoNamesLeft,

This is great info. I had suspected that it might not be related to the application version, but my symptoms appeared right after the upgrade ... Coincidently, I upgraded right after the RIMpocalipse (the big world-wide outage). You see, threatening with switching devices won't do anything -- we already paid the money for the them. I don't think RIM realizes that their brand loyalty is melting by the minute. But I bet RIM's investors won't be too happy knowing that perhaps the service wasn't FULLY restored. I say this, because the following things are clear to me: It's not carrier related, it's not software related, and MSN messenger works fine on Android devices and the desktop, so logically who else is to blame?

What makes matters worse, is that Robbers won't support us either. I'm paying for the IM service, meanwhile they tell me to contact MSFT for support. Awesome support, detective deep####! Can we get support from RIM? Sure, but we'll have to pay for it. At this point, what's the more economically viable option, paying for RIM support, or getting another brand with free support?

There is a lot of people viewing this thread. Don't just look people, if you're having this issue, join and post.
If there isn't enough interest for this, RIM will keep pretending there is no issue. It wouldn't be the first time.

Food for thought:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/11/07/rim-blackberry-outage.html

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NoNamesLeft

Interesting about you bringing up the RIMS issue....maybe everything has not been completely restored and it is affecting this application as well......Now that you mention it I know it is working on other platforms.  I use MSN to keep in touch with friends overseas who do not have BBM and theirs is working fine.

As for Rogers I have to say, when I called them asking for any type of help I spoke to a nice girl and I believe she did what she was able to to try and help the situation, so I will give them some credit there.  However I get what you mean, I pay for the messaging plan and a good portion of what I use is not working!

As for thinking of switching phones, lol, it was not a threat.  I have some pretty serious iphone envy at the moment.  There are certain features I know I would use on a daily basis.  I would be able to put it out of my mind and not take the plunge if at least I had a phone that was working in the manner it was intended or purchased from a company willing to help its customers.  When you do not see those things it makes it tempting to switch. 

It is kind of sad.  I got my first BB this summer and I was so excited, lol, it has definitely turned into a bit of a disappointment and I cannot say I have seen anything in the last few months to encourage brand loyalty from me at least.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Sprint

Ever since the WLM upgrade, I've been having issues too.  I've gotten the server error and periods of time when it said I was connected, but no online contacts appeared in my list.  Today, when I tried to login to WLM on my computer, it told me that i must upgrade my client to login.

I think something changed on MSFT's end.  I finally got WLM on my phone to work, but one of my contacts showed an avatar image that she said she hasn't used in a long time.  I also noticed that after updating my desktop app, my conversation history was gone.  The newer versions (the past year or so) allow you to be logged in from multiple locations.  It shows my laptop when I'm logged into that (from my desktop), but not my phone.  When I send a message from my phone, it logs me out of the session on my computer.

I think that MSFT changed something on the back end as well as the APIs that are used to connect phones.  I think that WLM for Blackberry needs to be updated to accommodate these changes.

I've temporarily switched over to Yahoo Messenger for the time being.  That seems to work fine except that it doesn't show my converstions in the feed manager that shows my MSN, BBM, and feeds.  Oh well...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approved Apps: Barry Black

Loving my new Playbook!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NoNamesLeft

Hey Everyone

I am still having the same issues with Windows Live Messenger not working.  Just checking to see if anyone had heard anything about a fix or managed to get theirs working properly.

Please use plain text.