Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve

Need help downloading Blackberry App World onto computer

PLEASE Help! I cannot download the BlackBerry App World onto my computer. I go onto the webpage and click the link to download it, and then I get an "Incorrect Browser" message, saying that I need to use Internet Explorer to download App World onto my computer. I definately have Internet Explorer, it is the only browser that I have on my computer, I have made sure that it is up-to-date and everything, but I am still getting the same message.

Can someone help me with what I am doing wrong?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Need help downloading Blackberry App World onto computer

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Your first mistake (don't feel bad) is expecting to "install" app world to your PC...it does not do so. The website "install" merely uses your PC as the conduit, via USB, to install to your BB. Hence, it's not much better than the OTA installation of AppWorld directly to your BB.

So, I'd suggest bypassing the PC method of installing to your BB and going direct OTA:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I realise that you have to use the USB cable to put World Apps onto your BB. But I dont want to have to spend the extra moneygoing onto the internet via my BB to download it, and all the other apps that I would like. I dont have a plan that includes browser, so it costs alot of money to d.l. things with my BB.
Hall of Famer II

OK...then the USB tethered method is the one you need to then use. Are you still getting the error you mentioned in your first post? I just tested with my installed (though, tbh, rarely used!) IE and I get past the first link successfully. In other words, from here:

I click the"Download" button and am presented with another screen that appears to me to be successful and has another Download button. This is in contrast to when I use FF -- with that I receive a screen that says:

• This web page uses ActiveX controls that work only in Microsoft Internet Explorer. To ensure that BlackBerry App World is correctly downloaded to your BlackBerry, this site is not designed to work with any other Internet browsers. If you cannot use Internet Explorer, you may be able to download the software directly to your BlackBerry smartphone.

and there is no Download button (on that screen) with FF.

If you are getting the error still, can you report back with your exact IE version? On mine, I have  8.0.6001.18813...

Let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

lol ok, i really hate to sound like a newbie...but I am

could you tell me what...tbh, IE, and FF mean?

From the link that you sent to me (which is the one that I have been using in the first place). But from there when I click on the download button (the one that is for downloading to your computer) I get the same screen:

This web page uses ActiveX controls that work only in Microsoft Internet Explorer. To ensure that BlackBerry App World is correctly downloaded to your BlackBerry, this site is not designed to work with any other Internet browsers. If you cannot use Internet Explorer, you may be able to download the software directly to your BlackBerry smartphone

What is an IE Version? and where do I find it?

Hall of Famer II

AshleyB21 wrote:

could you tell me what...tbh, IE, and FF mean?

TBH = To Be Honest

IE = Internet Explorer

FF = FireFox

AshleyB21 wrote:

What is an IE Version? and where do I find it?

The IE version is exactly that...the version of the IE browser software that is installed on your PC. Find it via, with the browser open:

• Help > About Internet Explorer

Let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

lol haha ok thank you for clearing that up.

My IE Version is 8.0.6001.18702IC

Hall of Famer II

Huh...very strange....same major version levels, but a tiny bit different at the final build level. Hmmm...I don't know, TBH. Have you done Windows Update to be sure you have everything up to date? Very strange...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I have updated my Windows, it was one of the first things that I did after I got the message a few times
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8320 Titanium

I had that message (wrong browser, IE only supported) when I went there with FF, opened IE and went to the address, and got a message that my BB doesn't meet requirements for App World.  I have no data plan, only text.  I have wi-fi at my house and have it set up to use that, so I can browse the web - but CANNOT download App World, because I don't have a data plan.  Fail, blackberry, fail.

If I can hook up to my computer and it can see my BB from BB's website, they should be able to install it via EITHER usb or wi-fi (which does NOT incur charges through my network).  But since I don't pay for a data plan (REGARDLESS of whether I would use any of the bandwidth), I can't download App World, something which could easily use my USB connection or wi-fi to communicate.  Very poor.  Let's hose the consumer a little more...

Anyway, as far as your issue is concerned, go to START, RUN, type "iexplore.exe" in the box (without the quotation marks) and hit ENTER, then go to that webpage.  Maybe that'll fix it... maybe...