Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Proverbio
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

POST Negative App Reviews HERE - Thread

[ Edited ]

Since developers can delete negative reviews at will from App World, I propose we start a thread here.  Please post app name, developer, amount paid, and your feedback/issue.  PLEASE contact developer and RIM support before posting feedback.  Some developers DO try to correct problems with their product and RIM needs to know that we are an active community.  Since positive reviews are not deleted by developers (some may be fabricated), I suggest we concentrate on negative reviews only.  Ideas?

USA On-Device GPS Map by Skylab Mobilesystems ($10.00) . 

App will not cache map on device rendering it useless.  Skylab deleted the negative review I posted.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Proverbio
My Carrier: None

Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd. Developer Unethical and a Potential Fraud!!!

First time poster.  If I've posted in the wrong forum, your help is appreciated.

Recently, I purchased an app from Skylab called USA On-Device GPS Map ($10.00) for my brand-new Playbook (first-time RIM customer).  There was one review with glowing feedback that suggested this app would meet my needs.  I was very excited to finally join the tablet community, and was looking forward to use my tablet as a GPS device, but the app has not worked once.  I contacted the developer for assistance and several weeks later I'm yet to receive a response.  I went back to App World to leave a negative review, by then there were several dissatisfied customers.  Today, I checked back to see if my review had been posted, but instead, all negative reviews had been deleted.  There isn't a single negative review posted.  Skylab has conveniently deleted them.  I tried to re-post, but now I can't.  This is UNETHICAL!!!

I'm afraid others will spend their money on something that is useless.  I contacted RIM support to report the shady practices of this developer in hopes that they would contact them, but they said they couldn't do anything about it.  How can RIM allow its customers to get ripped off?  This does not inspire confidence in the company.  Now, I'm reluctant to buy any more apps from App World.  How can you distinguish the ethical from the unethical developers if negative reviews can be easily deleted by them?  I think RIM is making a mistake.  Apps is one major reason why people buy tablets.  I like my Playbook and hope to have a better experience once the Droid Market opens to us.  Until then, I'll  take the $10.00 loss as a lesson, and not buy any more apps from App World.  How disappointing!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd. Developer Unethical and a Potential Fraud!!!

It's unfortunate you didn't search the forums (here or CrackBerry.com) first, since this is a well-known problem with this vendor.

The fact that you even saw any negative reviews is a miracle -- or more likely an indication that there are MANY such reviews being left -- since they clear them out so often it's surprising you had a chance to see any.

I find it unfathomable how RIM figures it's necessary to continue letting this happen. They do allow developers to remove reviews, but supposedly they require a reason, and obviously that developer's only reason could be "because if everyone knew how bad these apps are we wouldn't sell any!".

The sad part is that when developers request rejection of a review, there is *no place to put a reason*! Just a big "Deny" button. Clearly RIM isn't concerned, or they'd fix that.

As a user and a developer, this continues to dismay me greatly.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AppAddict81
My Device: Torch 9800 Unlocked
My Carrier: T-Mobile

SayIt by BachKhoa University deletes negative reviews

[ Edited ]

I got an app called SayIt by BachKhoa University about 2 weeks ago. It was $4.99. The app is supposed to be a virtual assistant like Siri for the BlackBerry. The app has very little commands, and I was happy to see that there would be updates to it which would add to this functionality.

Yesterday, I received a notification that there was an update. I went to the upgrade area and found that the update fixes bugs, and adds a single new command. The problem is that the update is an additional $1.99! Here is the problem with this...because of it's already low amount of commands, it would take hundreds of dollars in updates before it's usable for more than checking the weather or movie times. In addition, why should I have to pay for bug fixes?

I posted a 1 star review about this whole situation, and I noticed that 3 other people also posted about it. ALL of our reviews are gone this morning! No wonder why BlackBerry is going broke! AVOID this app and save your money.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

Re: POST Negative App Reviews HERE - Thread

[ Edited ]

My app review on "Miami On-Device GPS Map" from Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd. is in this thread.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
artistjsb
My Carrier: Orange

Overdrive crashes playbook and stops BB id from seeing wifi connection. Also once it is downloaded it does nothing - no menus nothing to save libraries so I still cannot read DRM protected library books on Playbook.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nobody4711
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: ok

About the same happend to me with a "product" from Skylab Mobilesystems.

I bought a 9.90 App "germany offline GPS map".

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/48872/?lang=DE

After download and test, I found that this app is not usable - its a ripoff:

All maps a openstreemap based - detailed, but slow

with the download you only get a very rough map - everything else has to be downloaded from OSM

naviagation, zoom etc. is slow, unusable.

All in all far away from a replacement for a paper map, and far away to justify a 9.90 price.

if this had beed a $1 application I could understand the missing features. For $1 you get something which downloads already free availible maps on your device. But 9.90 suggests this is a premium product - which is it not.

I uninstalled the application and posted a negative review. It was online for a few days, but now has vanished.

the other reviews for this program are 100% positive.

If skylab mobile system found my review inapropriate there had been ways to contact me, or, they could issue a refund. Nothing happend.

I can only advise not to buy anthing from this company, or only if you can try out a demonstration version (which AFAIK ist not avilible for any of their products).

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

[ Edited ]

"Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd. is an official BlackBerry Alliance member of RIM's Independet Software Vendor (ISV) Program." -- This is a shame, Skylab Mobilesystems' membership in the BlackBerry Alliance should be revoked as they only drag RIM down.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
juditha
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: bell

Overdrive is for library books. Important to know that, in addition to having overdrive, you also must go to adobe digitals and set up an adobe ID, using the same email address that you used for your blackberry. You don't need to download anything, just to to the site using your playbook, and set up the ID. It's really pathetic that so many blackberry apps have little or no help or instructions. Once you have an adobe id, open overdrive, go to get books, find the library to which you have a membership, and books should download. To open drm protected books, you need 2 things: 1. Calibre installed on your computer where the books are stored, and 2. A blackberry app called Ereader. Calibre can be used to remove drm. Important: DRM should be removed only on books that you actually own and are only trying to expand the options for where you will read them.
Please use plain text.
jagmal
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: O2

I was also not smart enough to read this website first and learnt my lessen by paying 10 EUR to these frauds sitting in Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd.

I downloaded the Germany On-Device maps by paying 9.9 EUR by seeing that on app-world it had 5 star rating. but its a **bleep** application.  Moreover when I posted a reviews, they deleted my review within 5 minutes. and I am no longer to re-post any reviews.

I am more annoyed with RIM because Skylab are official parter of RIM.

RIM: is this the only way left for your management to easrn mone, to cheat your hardcore fans who still prefer RIM over other tablets and mobiles, only becuase we love RIM. But sorry, NOT ANY MORE:

period.

Please use plain text.