If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
paul2020
My Device: PlayBook with Torch 9810 - Love the Torch !!!
My Carrier: Rogers

Print To Go - Cannot Print to PlayBook

While I managed to get Print To Go installed, I cannot print to my PlayBook.  I went through the process of setting the password twice and after the first time, I changed the password on the PlayBook but not in the PC just to see what would happen.  The PC software knew that the password was wrong.  So I reset the password on the PC to the second password on the PlayBook.  When I press Print, it says "locating device" and then very quickly it goes to Sending.  But does not complete the send.  I have tried with Word and several other applications but noting works.  This is the error I get:

Print Error

Connection to your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet failed ........

Driver version 1.0.143.0

In summary, I seem to have it installed ok and the PC software can find my tablet but it cannot send the file.  Just an FYI, I am not using VPN, which the error message says will prevent sending files.  However, I am using a Cisco gigabit router to handle all wired and wireless networking and a Bell router for internet connection.  I don't want to reconfigure my network to get this software to run since I have a bunch of devices on the network, including my PlayBook and my 9810 Torch as well as a bunch of computers and a game console.  Everything accesses the internet just fine, including the PlayBook.  Is there anything else I could try? 

Thanks,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Print To Go - Cannot Print to PlayBook

It's unclear to me whether you're saying it worked at first but then not, or whether it never worked.

If the latter, are the two devices on the same subnet? I believe the docs say that it must be on the same subnet, presumably because it's using some sort of local broadcast message to discover the PlayBook for now.

("Subnet" has a particular meaning in networks. If you're not familiar with it, though you sound like you certainly are, I can clarify.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paul2020

Hi Peter,

To answer your first question - did it ever work?  The answer is no, it never worked even once.

Second question - I have checked the Subnet Mask for both devices and they are the same.  Since I am not a networking expert, if this is not what you mean, please explain further.

Thanks,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Well, technically the subnet mask itself only indicates which portion of the IP address is examined to decide what the "subnet" is.

Assuming a typical scenario (mask 255.255.255.0) they're on the same subnet if both IP addresses differ only in the last part of the four part address, e.g. the x in 192.168.0.x.

Another thing to consider is if you have two PlayBooks under the same BBID.

Also virus scanner software seems to be interfering, though I think that would affect things before you enter the pairing password (i.e. screws up entering the BBID). Maybe could be involved.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paul2020

Hi Peter,

I have the typical scenario (mask 255.255.255.0) and yes, both IP addresses differ only by the last part of the 4 part address.

No, I only own one PlayBook so the two PB under one BBID can't happen.

I guess it could be Microsoft Security Essentials. 

I turned of MSE and tried it again but no luck.  It very quickly went past Locating Device but spent a significant amount of time on Sending and then poped the error up.  There did not seem to be any difference with MSE on or off.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Another step I've seen reports of people having to do, and actually had to do myself: reboot both the PC and the PlayBook if you haven't already since starting to try this.

I also had to uninstall and then reinstall the printer driver.

(At each step I was facing a separate error message or symptom, which is how I know each step was necessary in my case. I was fairly methodical about it.)

Beyond that I don't think I have any more ideas for now.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
paul2020

Hi Peter,

First, I want to say thanks for your help. 

I have reinstalled the app with no issues and it seems to locate the PB but still can't send a file.  It would really help a lot if Rim had much more verbose error messages in this app so that I could post more detailed information about what is not working.  Maybe that will be in the next release - a log file for failed sends.

I have put more time in to this than I wanted but again, I appreciate your help Peter.  Maybe something will pop up elsewhere in the forums that helps or RIM will discover what is going on here.

Thanks,

Paul

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
GaiusCoffey
My Device: Playbook (developer)
My Carrier: (developer)

Hi,

I was having loads of issues with PrintToGo after messing about with network profiles for dev reasons. There was one specific network that I couldn't use PrintToGo with (unfortunately, my main network...) and Playbook insisted I should connect to a network (even though I was) whenever I tried to either PrintToGo or check BlackberryID.

In the end, I deleted the network profile for that network and started again.

Worked first time after that.

G

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
belle_curve
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: WInd mobile

Almost one year later...

Its actually kinduva priority to collect documents on my Playbook, if its going to serve a hub.

Anyway, I did post on another PtG thread: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/Print-To-Go/m-p/2732527#M49657 

erm, mr. Coffey (above), whats that you're saying about a Network Profile?

GaiusCoffey wrote:

In the end, I deleted the network profile for that network and started again.

Worked first time after that.

G

Would that apply for an "error code 408", perhaps.

...Fingers crossed for Device Durability.

-bc

Please use plain text.