Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

Skype for my 9790. Only Telkomsel (Indonesia)!! How is it possible?...

Hello , I have been looking for information about Skype for Mobile in its website. Skype reports me: " Is Skype available for BlackBerry® devices? If you have a BlackBerry smartphone powered by the BlackBerry 10 platform, you can download Skype for free from the BlackBerry World application store*. *Skype is not responsible for the content of external websites. If your device is powered by BlackBerry 4.5 to 7.1 and you are with Telkomsel, you can download the Skype application for free. Learn more. Even if your phone isn’t supported, you can still call phones abroad at low Skype rates with Skype To Go™. It’s easy to set up – simply buy a little Skype Credit or a subscription and activate Skype To Go from your account. " Lear more... A monumental surprise !!... I read: How do I set up and start Skype on my Telkomsel phone? Telkomsel ? "...Telkomsel is a brand name of a GSM and UMTS Mobile phone network operator which is operating in Indonesia. " (Wikipedia) Why Indonesia? Why Telkomsel? Where are the rest of the phone operators? Where are USA, Canada, European Union ...?. Indonesia, Telkomsel... How is it possible? I continue informing me "On 6 November 2012, Microsoft announced that Messenger and Skype services would merge in the first quarter of 2013, with users of Messenger client software moving to Skype. On 8 January 2013, Microsoft emailed Messenger users and informed them that with the exception of mainland China, the Messenger service would stop working on 15 March 2013 and users would not be able to sign in." (Wikipedia) (¿¿!!) My 9790 has only four months. Brand new, unpolluted. I don't understand nothing.... What can I do about it? Thank you in advance. Regards,
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Skype for my 9790. Only Telkomsel (Indonesia)!! How is it possible?...

hello yellowsubmarine,

I understand your despair.

Here are three facts.

FACT 1
Skype has NEVER been available for BlackBerry tablets or BlackBerry phones (from OS4 up to OS7.1) except for carriers that have a special partnership with Skype. ThreeUK and Telkomsel are part of that partnership.

FACT 2
Skype is available for the new BlackBerry 10.1 platform, meaning for the Z10 and the Q10.

FACT 3
Microsoft has decided to merge their Windows Live Messenger subscribers and their Skype subscribers.
Once WLM is not available anymore, the only way to contact your previous WLM contacts is :
- either you live in China and can continue using WLM
- or you are not in China, and you must use a Skype client

From my perspective, I do not really care because most of my friends have migrated from WLM to another chat service (like GoogleChat), and from Skype to FaceFlow.
But I can understand that if your friends are using Skype, and you cannot, you can be upset.

There is no Skype app from Microsoft for your 9790, but there are several third party apps that allow you to do SkypeIM (= texts, not video). You can check them in the AppWorld, for example IM+.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: