Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
darthfader
My Device: curve 8330 verizon
Accepted Solution

Slacker radio : problem with firewall

[ Edited ]
hi everyone i no very little about the blackberry and i'm having alot of trouble with slacker radio do i have to disable my firewall because it has a little lock by it.........i  keep getting this pop up saying slacker radio has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall.......everything else works fine for me except slacker radio i would greatly appreciate some insight to this matter..
Message Edited by Jonathan_K on 08-09-2009 05:57 PM
Forums Veteran III
IrwinII
My Device: Bold 9930 7.1.0.163 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Re: Slacker radio : problem with firewall

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums! :smileyhappy:

Are you on a corporate BES that may require your firewall?  It would be set by your IT policy and you couldn't disable it anyway.  If not, disable it.  Mainly for corporate users and/or users who require a firewall layer of protection.  Post back how it goes with Slacker.  My brother loves that app.  Whick BB do you have? :smileysurprised:

Couple of sites for you:

Blackberry 101

Tips & Tricks

Device Forums list: pick your model

Great to have you here. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Jonathan_K on 08-09-2009 05:57 PM
IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
New Contributor
darthfader

[ Edited ]
no i don't belong to bes i've been researching on this forum and went to security options>general settings>....i says no services so i assume there is no policy....this is my personal black berry my vendor number is 105 and my  version is 4.5.0.77 on a curve 8330 verizon is my provider if that helps
Message Edited by Jonathan_K on 08-09-2009 05:58 PM
Forums Veteran III
IrwinII
My Device: Bold 9930 7.1.0.163 OS + Playbook 64Gb

[ Edited ]

The firewall is turned off by default.  Check the setting at: options-security options-firewall; make sure the status says 'disabled'

Sorry this took so long.  Just found a link for you to read:  Slacker Radio

Hope that helps.  Good to have you here on the forums. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by IrwinII on 08-06-2009 08:54 PM
IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

[ Edited ]

Before I got onto my BES I remember my firewall having a lock on it and I didn't have any services listed. I recently changed for BES to BIS and I ran the /resettofactory switch to remove my IT Policy. Now I can enable and disable my firewall.

Check out this post for how to run that command

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Bold&thread.id=23295

Just note that doing so will wipe the phone. So backup any data that you currently have on it first.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor
darthfader

[ Edited ]
does my desktop manager have to be 4.7 i think it is 4.5......ty for the help
Message Edited by Jonathan_K on 08-09-2009 05:59 PM
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

[ Edited ]

Has to be at least 4.7. Version 5.0 was released a few weeks ago. I'd recommend that one. You can download it from here

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

Message Edited by Jonathan_K on 08-09-2009 05:59 PM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor
darthfader

[ Edited ]
Thank you so much    Jmrmb80  i followed for advice and helpful links and i reset my bb through command prompt i just had to remember to type cd (space ) then c:\program files\common file\research in motion\apploader\......  and after that.... loader.exe /resettofactory i'm very appreciative now i can listen to slacker radio:manvery-happy:
Message Edited by Jonathan_K on 08-09-2009 06:03 PM
New Contributor
mldennisbb
My Device: Not Specified

I was having the problem with a locked firewall that wouldn't go away.  I couldn't access Slacker Radio, Google Mobile App and others without running in to the in/out firewall message.  I did the wipe about 10 times and each time the the locked firewall would comeback with I reconnected with DM.  I am pretty sure that the machine that I did most of the wiping from using JL_Cmder and the loader.exe command line had a policy.bin file that would reapply the firewall lock.  I moved to a different machine and all is well so far.  I am pretty afraid to move one of my backups to see if that would reapply also but I think I will anyway to see if that is possible.

--M

New Contributor
mldennisbb
My Device: Not Specified

Good news, a restore from this morning did not mess anything up yet.  I will see if there are any conflicts now from shifting to a wiped bb to a restore of a messed up one.  Should be interesting when it starts looking at settings that were previously driven by and hooked into the firewall lock setting.  --M