Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

RPH
Contributor
RPH
My Device: Curve 9360

Stream media from PC to BB 9360 ?

Hi, simple enough question, rather than having to copy over all my tunes to my curve, I would prefer to just strream them from my pc's wmp dlna server. Anyone familar with htc android phones will know how easy and simple this is to do on these devices. But how can one do it on a blackberry, I see they added a file sharing feature in os7.1 but all it seems to do is share media from my bb to my pc (stupest thing ever, as there is a much greater chance that one's music is on their pc not their phone :Wacko: ) Any ideas ? Thx

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

Re: Stream media from PC to BB 9360 ?

If you have a Blackberry Desktop Software, you can look for the Wireless Music Sync, you can also stream music there on DLNA.

Please check this:

Wi-Fi Music Sync installation and setup

Ron

...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up :smileyhappy:

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

Please use plain text.
RPH
Contributor
RPH

Hi, I'm looking for a way to access the media on my pc via my phone without having to give the go ahead from my pc. I currently don't have desktop software installed but it sounds as though this music sync copies the music onto my phone wirelessly - correct ? Cause that is definitely not want I want. Dunno if you could elaborate on the dlna bit ? Thx
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob

With the Wireless Music Sync, you can Copy or you can just Play them. The phone's DLNA feature can be used as an input and not an output. The Blackberry Media Server can be used to play videos, music, and photos from your phone to other DLNA compatible devices.
...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Ronrob, are you sure BlackBerry 7 supports DLNA ? I could not find any official info about that.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob

Yes they are. I've been using mine since Media Server kicked in on OS 7.1.0.414

Please use plain text.
RPH
Contributor
RPH

Ok wait, I'm kinda confused now. I know I can play media from my phone to another pc/device via UpNp (I think that's correct) and I know I can wirelessly or via usb copy songs to my phone. These above features I don't care about. What I want is to be able to play directly on my phone all media from my pc only having to have my pc on for it to work, like on android (htc's). Could you please explain the steps to do this then ? Thx
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob

@RPH

I'm not referring to the Media Server function. I'm referring to the Wireless Music Sync, it will create a list of available songs in your PC on your phone but it is yout option whether you will copy them or play them via streaming without leaving a copy in your phone.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Ronbob wrote:

@RPH

I'm not referring to the Media Server function. I'm referring to the Wireless Music Sync, it will create a list of available songs in your PC on your phone but it is yout option whether you will copy them or play them via streaming without leaving a copy in your phone.

hello,

I found my answer :smileyhappy:

The Wireless Music Sync is based on uPNP but it is not DLNA-compatible for BlackBerry 7.1. Check this article:

KB31183 What is the Wireless Media Server

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
RPH
Contributor
RPH

@Ronbob

Are you certain one can play the files without having to copy them over ? And bb desktop software & services doesn't have to be running in the background ?

Please use plain text.