Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
michelebot
My Device: Not Specified

Streaming music consistently stops at about 5 minutes idle

Whenever I start a streaming music service (Pandora, Slacker) on my Bold, the music stops about 5 minutes after I set the phone down.  Pushing the trackball to wake the devices restarts the stream immediately.  Discussions with Pandora have shown me how to activate logging in Pandora.  In checking the Blackberry log, I most often get the following sequence of events:

i net.rim.vpn - Wait-logged out - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.vpn - Actn-user - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.vpn - Evnt-user - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.scan - Wait-idle - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.scan - Actn-user actvty - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.scan - Evnt-user actvty - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.link - Wait-active - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.link - Actn-none - 10/15 11:54:34

i net.rim.link - Evnt-user - 10/15 11:54:34

Since turning on logging in Pandora, it's more likely that the Bold will pick up the stream again after 45 seconds, and then play fine after that.  When I'm using the device to check email or browse the internet while the music is playing, the music does not stop until 5 minutes after I set the phone down again.

Is there a setting I can change to prevent my Bold from falling asleep logging off the service VPN?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jfeldredge

Re: Streaming music consistently stops at about 5 minutes idle

On my Storm, Pandora will occasionally freeze until I switch focus to the program.  Once I do so, it will either resume playing the current selection or advance to a new selection.  Less often, it will time out and exit, so that I have to restart Pandora.  Given that the Blackberry version of Pandora is advertising-supported, rather than charging an access fee, I have wondered whether this pausing-until-it-gets-focus is by deliberate design, in order to make sure you occasionally take a look at the advertising banner.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
michelebot

Actually, I upgraded to the paid version of Pandora on my Bold

Please use plain text.
Developer
jfeldredge

Apparently Pandora decided to make the Storm version advertising-supported instead, as it started showing banner ads on part of the screen about a month ago.  Listening to Pandora from a desktop or laptop computer increments the minutes-used-per-month counter, but listening from the Storm does not increment the counter.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cberguei

I'm getting the same problem on my Storm and it only started when I updated the Device Software to v5.0.  The only way I can get it to play again is by skipping the track which is not cool while I'm driving...

Please use plain text.
Zba
New Contributor
Zba

Same here. After the 5.0 upgrade, the next track plays with no sound until I pause or stop or skip, then restart the song.  That is not %100 either.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
icashootnstar
My Device: Storm 9530

Same problem here too. After the 5.0 update on my Storm, sometimes the very first song will go all the way until about 30 seconds from the end. Then it stops playing. I can only forward to the next song or shut down and restart.

Please use plain text.