Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Chander
My Device: Playbook

The most common question asked again: Skype on Playbook !

Hi,

I have recently bought a Playbook. Unfortunately, it was after placing the order that I saw on internet that Skype is not supported on Playbook !!!!!!

Eversince buying the tablet about 2 weeks back, I have franticaly serached for wayarounds..tried sideloading adroid apps from goodereader, also came across a host of youtube videos showing playbook running android apps and android market. I thought that I may be able to run the android version of skype...but all hopes were dashed when I found that the latter option is not possible in OS 2.0. I have already tried the other most commonly suggested wayarounds like imo.im and reelportal. But imo.im does not start video chat on any account..gmail, skype whatever. And reelportal is very slow and choppy. 

I had bought this tablet for my parents thinking that this would be ideal for them to video chat with with me on Skype while I am away. I think the inevitable conclusion is that I will have to sell this one away and buy an Android Tablet. I hate to give up this tablet for this inexplicably stupid ommision in an otherwise great device.

So I ask the final question before selling it : Is there any hope of Skype availability on Playbook in near future or not? 

Thanks for your inputs !!

Developer
WebCreep
My Device: BlaclBerry PlayBook 16gb, BlackBerry dev alpha

Re: The most common question asked again: Skype on Playbook !

Ya skype will be coming soon to appworld for plybook
New Contributor
Chander

[ Edited ]

Really???!!!  ..is there any official indication of that from RIM?

Developer
WebCreep
My Device: BlaclBerry PlayBook 16gb, BlackBerry dev alpha

Ya definately
New Contributor
Chander

@Webcreep

Thanks for your answer.

But I looked further on internetr after that. I found that skype MAY be available when the next version of blackberry OS comes out (BB 10). And this will happen only next year. So the prospects dont look promising. It seems I have no choice but to get rid of my playbook.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

OS 2.1 is supossed to offer some more camera interaction with apps.

currently you can chat on skype with out video here

https://imo.im/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
Chander

Indeed, I can do that. But unfortunately, voice chat is of no use to me which I can do from my phone also. I had specifically bought the tablet for video chat only.

wendy_darling
My Device: PlayBook

I am very much feeling the same way you are.  I purchased my PlayBook so that I could interface with BB phone and it seems that I am unable to do a lot of activities (i.e. Video chat, Instagram, etc) with the limited functionality of PlayBook.  I'm going to have to replace my PlayBook and break down and buy an iPad.  

New Contributor
rebanellfan93
My Device: Torch 9810

I feel the same way, I am hoping for skype or even oovoo! It would be extremely helpful if the video chat app that comes on the PlayBook let you call people on facetime or something. I tried calling my aunt's e-mail address she used for her facetime and it won't go through. It's frustrating because the front-facing camera for the PlayBook has such a better picture than the iPad. Is there any hope for ANY OTHER video chat solution for the PlayBook coming SOON??? I love my Playbook otherwise.

New Contributor
eskenazi369
My Device: Bb curve 8530 bb 32g playbook

I have my playbook for about two months now waited for the price drop and os update I knew that Skype was not available I just thought it was inevitable that we would get it eventually I found faceflow.com on the crackberry forums it allows you to video chat right from your browser I have used it on Google crome and firefox works pretty good with a good broadband connection hope it helps. Good luck
I.E.