Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
LindaT2011
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 2.0.1.358
My Carrier: 5197364116
Accepted Solution

Two Playbooks

Having been trying to find this answer...hope someone can help.  We are now a two playbook family, and I can't seem to share the same apps.  I found (can't find again) a forum answer that you create the same PB ID on the second playbook...up to 6 can be shared...and when I try to change the second playbook to my other playbook ID, it says "can't use it, already in use'....so that's not the anwer.  Can someone guide me to how to share the same apps in the same family...Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Two Playbooks

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It would be interesting if you could cite the authority that stated that one BB ID could share up to 6 PBs. It is my understanding that one BB ID can have a max of just 2 devices -- one BB and one PB only...no sharing in the manner you are requesting. Here are some references I've found:

• KB28543Expectations when using the same BlackBerry ID on multiple devices

The result you actually should see, when attempting to use the same ID on the 2nd device, is not as you stated but rather it should tell you that, if you proceed, it will shift the device assignment on the BB ID from the prior PB to the one currently being registered. Then again, in the docs I can so far find, all it says is that sharing the BB ID is not recommended...it doesn't actually state that it won't work (at least not so far in what I can find).

As for sharing of actual purchased apps...that may well also be problematic. Software is always via license, and somehow the AW system would have to keep track of which device has what apps installed, just in case the software is licensed specifically to one device and the app developer did not allow any sharing such as you have raised. It's my understanding that the reason for the one device rule is so as to prevent violating app licenses that would allow the app to only be used on one device and not shared.

I could be quite wrong of course...but so far I can find nothing to substantiate what you say about allowing 6 PBs to be registered to one BB ID and share apps. Perhaps another user may have better information sources than I.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LindaT2011
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 2.0.1.358
My Carrier: 5197364116

Thankyou for your reply.  I can't seem to find the forum that had the comment about the 6 PB's on one ID....regardless though it doesn't work maybe this person was confused with iTunes.   I can see why sharing would not be allowed for copywrite, updating, etc.  

BUT from also owning multiple Apple devices, they do allow multiply family shares i.e. iPhone and iPod  Touch (that's my only experience).  Now this is just my opinion as I know there are some things you just can't do anything about them....even when they make common sense.,....but it is truly a shame that a BB Appworld that sells waaaay overpriced apps i.e. $4.99 for Angry Birds (when iTunes sells for $1.99) that you can get free on a computer.....it truly is a shame that we cannot share apps in the SAME family...especially when they are over priced to begin with.  Another mark against Blackberry.

Thankyou for your help and answer....we will truly approach every app that we put on our PB's now to see if it's actually worth it, knowing that they cannot be shared.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome...good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.