Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Super Contributor
simon_a6
My Device: 9900

What happens to MSN on Blackberry in March 2013?

In March 2013 Windows Live Messenger is going down - switching off.  All users will be on Skype from what I have read.

In the UK at least, Blackberry does not operate with Skype - it won't work or install.

Yet we can use "MSN" on our phones easily.

So after March 2013, does that mean all the people we chat with on MSN, we no longer can, because Skype still won't be functional on every BB???

Contributor
Format_C
My Device: Bold 9780

Re: What happens to MSN on Blackberry in March 2013?

Excelent question, indeed....

Super Contributor
simon_a6

Ok so I was asked if i wanted to upgrade my Messenger, so have done that, and now I have to use Skype for ALL my hotmail accounts, because it is REMOVED Messenger from my laptop.

Thankfully I can still login to MSN via my Blackberry.

But if Skype doesn't get it sorted so we can sign into it from March, if Messenger shutsdown on BB, then I am screwed and won't be able to keep in touch with people using MSN.

I cannot believe how short sighted either Skype or Blackberry are being.  We need access, and are ALL being cut off from it.

And no one seems to know.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I do not have the definite answer, but here are some facts:

1) Skype is owned by Microsoft, and Microsoft now sees RIM as a competitor in the mobile business (smartphones and tablets).

2) Upon installing Skype on your laptop, and migrating your MSN contacts into Skype, it should not have deleted Windows Live Messenger on your PC. It did not for me, which means you clicked somewhere to allow the uninstallation of Windows Live Messenger on your laptop. You can re-install it if you wish, and use it to contact your MSN contacts just like before.

3) There are currently dozens of apps for OS5 / BlackBerry 6 / BlackBerry 7 that allow you to connect to the MSN network. Many of them also provide a Skype connectivity (SkypeIM, for messages, not voice & video). One of the most famous is IM+. They will still be available in April 2013 so as a BlackBerry user you will still be able to contact your MSN contacts... and yout Skype contacts.

4) currently, there is one "official" WLM app for OS5 / BlackBerry 6 / BlackBerry 7, developped by RIM. I do hope that they will provide a SkypeIM app before end of March 2013.

5) Windows Live Messenger disappears at the end of March 2013, for all countries except China (there are currently some legal issues about Skype in that country), so I do not know how Microsoft is going to deal with that.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:

..... it should not have deleted Windows Live Messenger on your PC.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
For me, it said something like "Windows Messenger will be uninstalled...".  I didn't have the choice to keep it.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Guru I
Xandrex

[x] You will be directed to Isabelle Boulay's house garden.
[ OK ]

'doh, I clicked OK! What happens next?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor
simon_a6

I've installed IM+ and works fine for WLM and Skype

What's the benefit of IM+ Pro?

And is there no app (free or otherwise) where on the Bold 9900 u can make skype calls over 3G?
Guru I
Xandrex

currently, Skype voicecalls for BlackBerry is available only for Verizon subscribers:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-mobile/skype-mobile/blackberry/

My personal feeling is that this is not going to change for existing BlackBerry phones.

Guru I
Xandrex

Xandrex wrote:
currently, Skype voicecalls for BlackBerry is available only for Verizon subscribers:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-mobile/skype-mobile/blackberry/

My personal feeling is that this is not going to change for existing BlackBerry phones.

I was wrong.

Skype for BlackBerry is available for 4 carriers across the world, as seen on the Skype FAQ.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10251/is-skype-available-for-blackberry-devices

the four carriers that are Skype-partners are:

• Verizon Wireless (US)
  • 3 (UK)
  • 3 (Australia)
  • Telkomsel (Indonesia)

msnfix
My Device: Storm 2

Is there a msn/skype for the 9550 storm 2