Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
class1dave
My Device: Storm

Why isn't there any help available on how to uninstall software?

I installed a free program called Blackstar and it was no good. Then I tried to delete it, but instead of deleting it, it archived it.

Why would it ask me to delete it and then archive it? If I had wanted to archive it I would have asked for that. Obviously, rim did not make any uninstall capabilities in the blackberry. Now I'm wishing I had an iphone and didn't have to go through all this stupidity trying to get a simple task done.

Not only that, but it screwed up my blackberry and I had to phone tech support to get App World working again. They had to resend it to my phone and now the App World works and Blackstar works with a major bug in that it won't display distance because it never does display distance.

Be aware that you cannot uninstall this application. Probably can't uninstall any applications on the blackberry by the look of things and from the lack of information available on that topic. And because its a 3rd party program, no one will help you with it either. The only other option is $10 a month for eternity to run the GPS NAV program. It doesn't seem such a hot deal but at least the program seems to work. I have a month trial period to decide if its worth $120/year. 

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I'M GOING MAD WITH ALL THIS LOUSY PROGRAMMING! 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Why isn't there any help available on how to uninstall software?

Hello there,

Despite my first impressions of you, I can set those aside since they only come from your rather negative post...being your second post here, I find it incredible that you'd choose to rail against everything in the world, including those who volunteer here to help out (who you would have found had you spent any time researching here before posting this). Nevertheless, I'll try to provide what I can.

Oh -- btw -- you also failed to choose a good place on this forum to post this inquiry. This is the Welcome and Introductions forum...there are several other sections of this site that are dedicated to various things, in which you'll find more targeted help for whatever it is that ails you. Spending a bit of time browsing around the forums would have revealed that.

Lastly -- your closing scream for help...what, exactly, do you want help with? From the rest of your diatribe, I don't find a specific unresolved question of any kind. You seem to have resolved your issues, so I am unclear what you are seeking. Of course, I could have missed your question amidst the vitriol. So, please restate your question in a clear, coherent fashion so that we can figure out what you need.

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
class1dave
My Device: Storm

[ Edited ]

I already spent long enough trying to use the search and it gave everything except what I searched for. Yes, if I wanted to spend all night on here I suppose it might be possible to find where to post, but not in a few minutes. Which is why I posted the message so I don't have to work for this website in trying to find out where everything is hidden. As any frequent computer user knows, search engines and computers never mix. I have yet to find a search engine that finds what I asked it to look for. And you would have me spend all night searching when I already know search engines are almost always useless?

[removed personal attacks]

[please keep all conversations courteous, polite but efficient and productive in the same time]

Message Edited by class1dave on 09-02-2009 10:01 PM
Message Edited by dany_s on 09-04-2009 12:24 PM
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Hi class1dave,

Welcome aboard to the community Forums. 

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

class1dave wrote:
No sermons. Can u answer the question or not?

I'd love to try...but I just can't figure out exactly what the question is...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

LOL. Funny. Enjoy your stay. Good luck in your quest.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

class1dave wrote:

I installed a free program called Blackstar and it was no good.

I am sorry, these things happen.

class1dave wrote:

Then I tried to delete it

You are smart. I would have done the same.

class1dave wrote:

but instead of deleting it, it archived it.

Why would it ask me to delete it and then archive it? If I had wanted to archive it I would have asked for that.

I think you really asked for the application to be archived. Don't be shy. This is a common case of PEBCAK. These things happen, even to the best ones, of whom you seem to be part of.

class1dave wrote:

and now the App World works and Blackstar works with a major bug in that it won't display distance because it never does display distance.

so, nothing new. You did not like the application in the first place, then you decided to have it installed once again. That's not so smart. Usually we live in a determinist world where the same causes bring the same consequences. Did you expect the application to be different ? Last comment : not displaying the distance is not a bug. It's a missing feature. A bug would be the application displaying a distance that would not be the same as the distance in the real world. But I am just digressing from the main issue here.

class1dave wrote:

Probably can't uninstall any applications on the blackberry by the look of things and from the lack of information available on that topic.

Did you even search ?
it took me nearly 20s to bring up the page that explains how to uninstall a third party application (yes, a third party one !). I'll help you and shall guide you to the document you are seeking for.
let's say you have a BlackBerry Storm at Verizon (it would be nearly the same for any device).
  1. Look on top of this page, click on the "SUPPORT & SERVICES" link.
  2. On the left, click on "Device Support" since that is what you are looking for.
  3. click on your device (I assume you have the Storm)
  4. on the bottom of the page, you have four boxes. They do not interest you for now. On top of them, you have two sections : BlackBerry 101 (I guess you don't have time to view the video explanations) and "User guides and documentation". That is the information you are looking for, that's great ! click on the "View and download product information for your BlackBerry Storm smartphone" link.
  5. you get to a page with two sections : one for 9500 and one for 9530. loot at that relevant one, and click on the "HTML" link.
  6. you get to the previous 9530 user guide (I assured your carrier is Verizon). On the left, you see the TOC. Select "Applications".
  7. The content of that chapter appears, oh there is a section called "Delete a third-party application" --> you can click on it. Or not. Your call.

anyway, you get to the following page after 10s (let's say after 4minutes, time for you to read a bit).

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/4867/Delete_a_third-party_application_46...
I sincerely believe that is the non-existent documentation you were not talking about.

Besides, if you think 20s is too much, you can also use Google. It's a wonderfull website. go to google.com and look forthe terms :

blackberry uninstall application

you get hundreds of websites detailing the procedure. Look for yourself :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&q=blackberry+uninstall+application

class1dave wrote:

And because its a 3rd party program, no one will help you with it either.

oh, that's a strange idea. Did you even try to ask the software editor that created the Blackstar application some help ?

class1dave wrote:

The only other option is $10 a month for eternity to run the GPS NAV program. It doesn't seem such a hot deal but at least the program seems to work.

What is the link between all what you have written above and this sentence ? Oh, you are trying to find a GPS application ? Well, you have BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps, AmAze, and at least 5 or 6 other applications available. But if you are happy with GPS NAV, please give us some feedback. Especially if you don't like it and are willing to uninstall it.

class1dave wrote:

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I'M GOING MAD WITH ALL THIS LOUSY PROGRAMMING! 

Please don't yell at us. We are mere BlackBerry owners just like you. The difference is that I spend part of my leisure time helping others. I don't ask for a medal, but at least the respect that I deserve as a human being.

For your information PEBCAK stands for "problem exists between chair and keyboard". This also applies for iPhone & Storm owners because there is a virtual keyboard. Maybe you could also say PEBCAVK but the acronym is not very common yet (despite your feedback).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: