Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
JMCroft68
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Yahoo messenger - Cannot connect to server error

Since last Friday been unable to use yahoo messenger on my Bold9900

So far tried Blackberry support who advised me to contact my wireless network provider.  Who in turn advised me to contact Blackberry as nothing to do with them.  I tried two Vodafone UK shops and their online support forum.

Been advised to look on appworld for page for yahoo messenger.  Which I have and the email address bounces back an email saying that its not for technical support and gives a link to http://www.blackberry.com/support/apps which throws an error 404 page not found!

So my question is how do you get any technical support with out being passed from pillar to post and back again!

OS7.1.0.825  yahoo messenger app v3.0.0.23

So far I have un-installed and re-installed the app.  Re-registered the phone on network and resent service books.

I can use yahoo messenger on my pc so there is no problem with my yahoo id.  I can also sign in to the m.yahoo.com website on my phone.

Just the yahoo messenger app cannot connect to server which to me says the problem is with the app.

Can some one shed some light on this and advise a possible solution or get this flagged with the development team that created the app.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Yahoo messenger - Cannot connect to server error

Hello,

Thank you for the most excellent problem report...quite easy to read and understand the situation as well as the resolution steps you've so far attempted. Sadly, the reply will not be so pleasantly received I fear.

From all that I can see, the sole method to receive any formal support from BB for this is via escalation from your carrier. I know you tried, and they refused...but they refused incorrectly I think. You see, if a problem is rooted in either the carrier or BlackBerry, the carrier holds front line support responsibility for the end user, and must escalate the case up to BlackBerry if they (the carrier) cannot resolve it.

The reasons I believe they refused you incorrectly are due to the app being a BB-developed one (as per the AW catalog information). If the app had been, for example, developed by Yahoo, then refusal would have been correct I think...but this app is developed by BB, so BB is responsible for it's support. Which, by contract, translates downwards to the carrier to provide front line support and escalation.

Of interesting note are perhaps other reports here on this site...it may well be that all (or nearly all) reports are from Vodafone UK users and not other carriers. If so, then that even more clearly points to a carrier-level issue rather than an app-level issue, in which case they (the carrier) hold resolution responsibility.

So, all in all, I encourage you (and all others) to ring up your carrier again but be assertive in your stance...insist that if this is, as the reports here indicate, a single carrier issue, that they resolve it. If instead it's an app issue, insist that since it's a BB-developed app, the carrier must escalate your case up to BB as part of your support contract. Keep insisting on that...the contract...for that is what is actually binding.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
raluca_ralu
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520
My Carrier: VODAFONE

Hello,

I have the same problem with yahoo messenger with BlackBerry Curve 8520. For several days I can not connect to yahoo messenger.. I went to the Vodafone operators, they deleted Book Service settings then reinstalled, deleted the yahoo messenger application then reinstalled but still does not work. Other pages such as google, faccebok work well, but yahoo messenger not working. Please help me what to do. Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JMCroft68

To update things.

On my post on the Vodafone UK support forum about this problem.  I was contacted by another member of their support team who has asked me to email details regarding the problem to them so their team could look into it.

So fingers crossed I will hear back from them soon with a means to solve the problem.

I was also contacted by Blackberry support who advised that they could provide me with technical support but it would be charge-able.  So will wait till I hear back from Vodafone UK before I think about going down that avenue.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

raluca_ralu wrote:

Hello,

I have the same problem with yahoo messenger with BlackBerry Curve 8520. For several days I can not connect to yahoo messenger.. I went to the Vodafone operators, they deleted Book Service settings then reinstalled, deleted the yahoo messenger application then reinstalled but still does not work. Other pages such as google, faccebok work well, but yahoo messenger not working. Please help me what to do. Thanks

Hello,

Please do as is already recommended in this thread...continue pressing for formal support and escalation from your mobile service provider.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

JMCroft68 wrote:

To update things.

On my post on the Vodafone UK support forum about this problem.  I was contacted by another member of their support team who has asked me to email details regarding the problem to them so their team could look into it.

So fingers crossed I will hear back from them soon with a means to solve the problem.

Thank you for the update...that is at least more encouraging than previously.

JMCroft68 wrote:

I was also contacted by Blackberry support who advised that they could provide me with technical support but it would be charge-able.

Yes, that is something called Incident Support, and that process begins with a fee to just ask your first question since it indeed is bypassing the formal contractual agreements to which all parties are bound. I didn't mention it before because I believe, from what you describe, that this is actually a carrier issue rather than a BB-issue...so paying BB for support on something that is not their issue seems not helpful. But, if you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JMCroft68

Right further update.

Spoken to a tech person from vodafone UK.  They at present cannot find away to speak to anyone at blackberry regarding the problem with out paying the $49 fee.

They are going to speak with their collegues and see if they can find another way to speak to Blackberry.

Hopefully have an update soon.

If not can someone provide a point of contact so can pass it on to the vodafone tech team so this can be resolved in a timely manner.

Please use plain text.
abiola02
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: smartphone

I have been trying to connect with yahoo messanger with my BB 8520 but to no avail.whenever I tried it ,it read sorry for not being able to login on ur smartphone try to login on pC screen and log in later.bu it does's work but gmail woirks fine .what should I do?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

abiola02 wrote:
I have been trying to connect with yahoo messanger with my BB 8520 but to no avail.whenever I tried it ,it read sorry for not being able to login on ur smartphone try to login on pC screen and log in later.bu it does's work but gmail woirks fine .what should I do?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You can start by reading the posts in this thread and following the instructions already provided...contact your mobile service provider for formal support. There is no other channel for support on this issue.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JMCroft68

Further update.

As of this morning the app now connects and am able to chat with my contacts using the app.

It did drop the connection once when was out in car with an error about not being able to get data from server.  When tried to sign back in it connected with no problems and has been fine since.

So not sure which party has resolved this.

Hopefully fingers crossed the problem has been resolved.

Please use plain text.