Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
jyunte
My Device: Not Specified

You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate is not trusted

I keep getting an error message on my home screen. It says: "You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate is not trusted" When I look at the certificate, it says it's for google.com. I've done a Google search and found this link: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=113851 ...which says... 1. On your BlackBerry's main menu, select Settings > Security Options > Certificates 2. Find the 'mail.google.com' certificate and select it 3. Press < Menu > 4. Select Trust 5. Press < Menu > again on the certificate 6. Select Details 7. Select Fetch Status The problem is, I don't have a certificate for "mail.google.com", or ANY google.com certificate, so this error must be coming from somewhere else! This message pops up several times a day and is very annoying. Anyone have a working solution for this?
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate is not trusted

jyunte wrote:
I keep getting an error message on my home screen. It says: "You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate is not trusted"

if I recall correctly, at that point there should be a button to have more information, as well a a procedure to apply on your device (set the trust configuration not on server but on device).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer
jyunte
My Device: Not Specified

Re: You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate is not trusted

The options are to Continue, Trust it, or Deny it. According to the article I mentioned above, if you just trust it from that screen, the error will NOT go away. The article says you have to do it from the Settings -> Certificates screen. If you tell it to trust it, it asks you for a password for the Key Store file... so it's obviously something new that's not been created before.
New Contributor
dflexb
My Device: Torch 9800

Yes. Why would i trust something im OBVIOUSLY not doing? This started happening to me on a phone call I thought my phone was just having a charging glitch.... but heres what the certificate says....

rcp5.us.blackberry.com

Untrusted Cert Chain

Stale Chain Status

Revocation: Unknown

Trust: Not trusted.

Expiration: Sat Oct 1 2010 7pm (5 days ago?)

Certificate Type: X509

Public Key: RSA 1024

Issuer: CN=Thawte SSL CA

O=Thawte, Inc.

C=US

Let me see your barcode!
Guru I
Xandrex

dflexb wrote:

Yes. Why would i trust something im OBVIOUSLY not doing? This started happening to me on a phone call I thought my phone was just having a charging glitch.... but heres what the certificate says....

rcp5.us.blackberry.com

Untrusted Cert Chain

Stale Chain Status

Revocation: Unknown

Trust: Not trusted.

Expiration: Sat Oct 1 2010 7pm (5 days ago?)

Certificate Type: X509

Public Key: RSA 1024

Issuer: CN=Thawte SSL CA

O=Thawte, Inc.

C=US

I believe you have installed an application that does something when you make phone calls : store, historize, or something. And this application tries to connect to its server, and it fails because it tries to connect to a blackberry.com website.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
MKLevesque
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8900

[ Edited ]

Resolution:

1. Download and install the latest BlackBerry Desktop Software.
  2. Enable Certificate Management in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager (Select Tools > Desktop options > check Use certificate synchronization > select OK).
  3. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone via USB and if prompted enter the smartphone password and Select OK.
  4. If prompted, select Get started with this device.
  5. Select don't add the account, then set any specific options and select Finish.
  6. Within the menu on the left, select Certificates.
  7. When prompted, type a key store password twice for confirmation and select OK.

Note:
     Remember this password for future use.

8. Select Root and type Thawte within the search box.
  9. Locate and add a check mark beside the Thawte Primary Root CA certificate and select Sync Certificates.
  10.  Once completed, restart the BlackBerry smartphone.
  11.  After the smartphone has powered back on, ensure it is connected to Wi-Fi and open BlackBerry Messenger.
Guru I
Xandrex

Please read this article from the public knowledge base:

KB33968 "You are attempting to open a secure connection, but the server's certificate chain is not valid." displayed after upgrading to BlackBerry Messenger 7.0.X on the BlackBerry smartphone