Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
jastern21
My Device: Not Specified

downloading app through computer trouble

ok so im sporting the new blackberry curve 8900.  my plan however dosent let me use the browser/wifi.  so in order for me to download apps and app world i had to do it through the computer.  i have app world currently installed on my curve, but when i try to download applications through the blackberry website it dosent work.  they send me the email with the link to download the app, but everytime i click on the link it sends me to the exact same page every time that says "Refer-A-Friend."  it dosent make sense.  and it does this for every app ive tried to download, not just one.

if anyone can help that would be great.

thanks

josh 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: downloading app through computer trouble

which applications?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
BesManian_Devil

jastern21

The BlackBerry App World Storefront (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/BlackBerry%20App%20World%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf) - Frequently Asked Questions states on page 2

BlackBerry smartphone users who have service plans that do not include browsing will not be able to access BlackBerry App World. A data plan is required to access the application. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jastern21

i understand that from the blackberry i wont be able to access the app world.  but when i spoke to my service provider on the phone they told me i can install the app world and other applications through the computer (i.e emailing it to an email address, opening the file/link on a computer, and then importing the aplication from the computer to the blackberry via USB).  the problem is when i click on the link on my computer it sends me to that "refer-a-friend" page each time.  whats weird is that i used the same method to get App World in my blackberry, by importing it through the comp. 
Please use plain text.
TheTech
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2 9550

Hello,

Can you try the below link and see if this works for you?

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/download.jsp#tab_tab_download

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jastern21

it sent me to the app world download screen.  i already did that to get the app world onto my blackberry.  i poped in my email and opened the link on my DELL while my blackberry was connected via USB.  when i opened that link it imported App world to my blackberry no problem.....
Please use plain text.
MaryPat
My Device: BB Storm 9530

I have the 9530 Storm and it is working well with Desktop Manager on my PC. I also have successfully downloaded App World.

I have used App World to select LiveStrong, have entered my email address(es) and have been sent the email link. When I click on the link, I get a 404- No Page Found message. I have used IE and Firefox as browsers; Outlook through my work server; and MSN and Gmail. All result in the same outcome. Help!

Mary Pat

Mary Pat Spon
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

in my opinion, the link is to be opened with the device browser and not from a desktop computer.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
TheTech
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2 9550

Hi,

The link I posted previously can be used on a desktop PC to download the App World application to your device. You can only download apps through the App World client on the BlackBerry itself.

Please use plain text.