Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
shady16101
My Device: Not Specified

facebook wont connect

hey everybody

ive had my blackberry 8900 for about a month and love it and iam a first time blackberry user and loving it aswell. 

i have a basic data plan with rogers...

ive instaled facebook 1.6 on my blackberry ,and iam trying to connect through wifi ... but it still wont let me connect 

and the error i keep getting is "Could not connect baciuse data service is not available. please try again later. if this continues, conact your service provider for support" 

even tho iam connected through wifi soo iam using my own internet it still wont connect... and this happens some apps like blackberry app world aswell. 

if there is a way around this or a fix can someone please let me know 

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vhartjes

Re: facebook wont connect

Dear all, 

I have the same problem, but would like to add to the reporting:

- I had NO issues when using facebook app 1.5

- I am using a company bberry and have no access to an alternative browser then the one installed by the company

- my company did not do a bberry maintenance update in between the use of 1.5 and 1.6

- I can still access my MSN, internet, mailbox, etc - it is only the facebook app that is not working.

- I am currently roaming, although this did not seem to affect the use of 1.5

The full error message is:

could not connect because a data service is not available. please try again later. if this continues, contact your service provider for support.

Is there anybody that could help me by either tell me which setting needs to be changed or how (in the case that it is because of a company control, anyway to pass by the restrictions)?

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
tuckersm

I have exactly the same problem with 1.6. 1.5 worked fine. Is there a fix or a way of reinstalling 1.5
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Luca_P

Wow! I just started an exact same thread!! Let me know if anyone has any response on this, can't seem to get any information anywhere on this!!

Cheers,

L

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vhartjes

Unfortunately no updates here yet - I got excited when seeing a notification of your replies and just now managed to log in and see that you have the same issue :smileysad:

Anyway, if you are in different threads and get a reply there, please post back a link here :smileywink:

Thanks in advance & good luck!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shady16101

i cant connect through wifi tho ... it still wont let me connect. i dont know if there is some kind of restriction on the program or something

Shady 

Please use plain text.
sunflower76

Same thing is happening to me. Not sure if it's because it's a company BB though.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Luca_P

OK - this has been fixed!! Contacted Vodafone and they told me that my BlackBerry hadn't been provisioned for internet access. They did something their end, and bingo, application is working like a charm!! Not really sure it was worth all the hassle but there you go.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vhartjes

Ciao Luca!

Thanks for letting us know :smileywink: Am contacting my provider (movistar) now to see what they can do for me on a company phone - but at least it is encouraging that it could be entirely on the provider's side and not my company blocking it (ufff).

Thanks again & cheers.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
canghel

Hello Luca,

Can you be more specific regarding what service books need to be sent from the provider.

I am a BES user and my network is Orange Romania. Unfortunately after they sent some service books and i reset my terminal nothing happent, still got the message "Could not connect because ....no data service...". I even checked with our IT guys and from their part nothing is bloked or any settings to prevent Facebook 1.6 to connect. 

Please use plain text.