Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Mazzie
My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: Old carrier
Accepted Solution

java.lang.NullPointerException

I updated my whatsapp yesterday and ever since I have this error keeps occuring:

java.lang.NullPointerException

Whatsapp isn't functioning due to this :smileysad:

When I updated my BBM a couple of months ago, this same error kept occuring which resulted in the app deleting itself. I had to wipe my phone to get it back.

I've uninstalled whatsapp, rebooted several times, yet still there hasn't been a change :smileysad:

What can I do to make this error stop and make my whatsapp work properly?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hello!!

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

If it won't boot up cleanly, then you may need to try Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, there are a couple of options. One is to see if you can read the log file:

Go to the home screen. Hold down the "alt" key and type 'lglg'. (You will not see anything while you type).This will bring up the log file. Scroll down (probably many pages) untill you see a line that says 'uncaught execption'. Click on this line. The name of the app will be in the info. Alternative methods for bringing up the logs are in this KB:

• KB05349How to enable, access, and extract the event logs on a BlackBerry smartphone

The other method is to remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app. Still another method is to reload the BB OS cleanly, leaving some time between adding other apps onto the BB so as to be able to determine exactly which one is the cause.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mazzie

None of the options you provided me did not work! :smileysad::'(:smileysurprised:

So I decided to wipe my phone completely.

This is the official biggest mistake of my life!!!! :'(

I wiped it by connecting it to the computer.

Then all of a sudden my phone decided to reboot but stayed on the loading screen :/

And then it came on after 2 hours.

At the top it says Blackberry Platform 6.6.0.236

And all the applications that I have downloaded are listed.

I am soooooooooo stuck.

I have no idea what to do :'(

Do I have any way of getting it back to normal? :'(

Or do I have to send it for repair :/:smileysad::'(

Please help :'(:smileysad::/

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh I do wish you had asked before proceeding with that...now you really are in a pickle indeed! But, due to grammatical issues with your post, I need some clarification please.

Mazzie wrote:

None of the options you provided me did not work! :smileysad::'(:smileysurprised:

Nothing worked? Or something worked? The way you have worded that, I cannot know for sure...

Mazzie wrote:

So I decided to wipe my phone completely.

This is the official biggest mistake of my life!!!! :'(

I wiped it by connecting it to the computer.

Please tell me the exact steps you conducted...there are several ways to conduct what you say so quickly there, and I need to understand exactly what you did.

Mazzie wrote:

Then all of a sudden my phone decided to reboot but stayed on the loading screen :/

And then it came on after 2 hours.

At the top it says Blackberry Platform 6.6.0.236

What else is on the screen please? Complete and exact please...I need to understand your situation, and I have only your words to guide me.

Mazzie wrote:

And all the applications that I have downloaded are listed.

The apps "are" or "are not" listed? Again, I cannot understand your words as written...

I'm sure it's recoverable, but I need to correctly understand your exact circumstances in order to guide you properly. Further, it is possible that your data (contacts, calendar, etc.) is already wiped from your BB...unless you took a backup somewhere, then it is permanently gone. But, again, I need you to be clear, exact, and complete with what you tell me in order for me to understand your situation properly.

Thanks and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mazzie

Okay. Sorry  :smileysad:

I went on to Blackberry Software and backed everything up.

Then I wiped my phone through the program BBSAK which said that my wiping was successful, or something along them lines. Thereafter my phone rebooted itself but the loading sign remained for several hours. Then, Blackberry Platform 6.6.0.236 came on. This said Blackberry Platform 6.6.0.236 at the top and listed every single app that I have downloaded on my blackberry. Now, when I connect it to Blackberry Software it says

'Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device.'

Does that make sense?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Mazzie wrote:

I went on to Blackberry Software and backed everything up. 

Whew! That's a relief! At least we now know your data is safe.

Mazzie wrote:

Then I wiped my phone through the program BBSAK which said that my wiping was successful, or something along them lines.  

That's normal...BBSAK is an excellent tool.

Mazzie wrote:

Thereafter my phone rebooted itself but the loading sign remained for several hours.

Was it still connected to your PC? Was BBSAK and/or AppLoader still running. For that matter, after the BBSAK WIPE, did you start the AppLoader?

Mazzie wrote:

Then, Blackberry Platform 6.6.0.236 came on. This said Blackberry Platform 6.6.0.236 at the top and listed every single app that I have downloaded on my blackberry. 

This sounds like the AppLoader screen on your PC. Right? Again, the details matter...for all I know, you could be seeing this on your BB display...

If it is your PC screen, then you must have initiated the AppLoader process (which you can do from within BBSAK via the "Load OS" button). What this is showing you is what is available for you to now install to your BB. The BBSAK WIPE would have totally wiped your BB clean of everything, including the OS...it truly would be a blank slate. AppLoader is the tool to use for the next step...reloading everything to your BB.

Mazzie wrote:

Now, when I connect it to Blackberry Software it says

'Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device.' 

But I am confused...from the above, you already have the required AppLoader screen up on your PC, so what are you now connecting to? And did you proceed on that prior AppLoader screen (on your PC) or is that list of all apps still up? I cannot tell...

If you indeed proceeded, on your PC, from that AppLoader screen and told it to start loading the BB, then quite often, in the state you say it is in, simply disconnecting and reconnecting the BB from the USB will "kick start" it and allow it to continue. But, what is the display on the BB screen? If it is a "507" error, then that is what I would expect, and this USB disconnect/reconnect should allow AppLoader to continue.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mazzie

Thank you sooo much for your help!
But somehow I managed to fix it!! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent! If you can remember, then your contribution to our user-to-user community would be greatly appreciated by others I am sure!

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.