Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
rumpfshaker
My Device: Bold 9930

overseas BBM

I have been using my Bold 9930 for the past 4 months overseas w/ my wirless data/calling plan with Verizon on hold until I return next month.  Lured by the BBM7 Voice possibilities I just updated my phone software, not realizing that an active data plan was required to download/use BBM.  Now, whatever glitch that was allowing me to continue to use BBM to text and still send and recieve emails on my phone has dissappeared.  My blackberry has been my prime way to stay connected to my family while stuck overseas, through my ability to use WIFI only and contiue to use BBM and email on my phone.

Can anyone help?  If I re-activate my phone plan with verizon should I be able to get my BBM and email turned back on even if I can never get a cell signal and only use it through WIFI.  I am returning to the US next month and will be re-activating my plan then anyway, but would love to continue to use BBM and especially love to upgrade to BBM voice in the meantime.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: overseas BBM

if you want to use BBM and email on your device, you need a working data plan.
This can be done by two means:

1) you contact Verizon, and ask for a roaming plan. It will be very expensive because of the roaming fees (expensive for phone calls & data)

2) your device is de-SIMlocked, and you buy a data plan in the country you are in (could be a pre-paid plan with a BlackBerry data plan for example). When you're back in the US, you relink your device to VZ.

That being said, you can also just use a webmail on your device, since you have WiFi.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rumpfshaker
My Device: Bold 9930

thanks. I guess a more specific question would be: if I just re-activate my phone/data plan with verizon back in the states will that be good enough to re-acitivate my BBM overseas using only WIFI...ie will I be able to download and use BBM voice and then just have my phone ready to use when I am back in the states next month?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

the BBM reactivation will be through your local carrier, which means roaming fees.
Once that is done, of course you can use WiFi (including for BBm Voice), but I do not know which part of the trafic will go through WiFi and which part will go through cellular.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.