Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
srsr15
My Device: blackberry playbook

skype for blackberry playbook

if skype is not available for bb playbook, why is it shown on the page presenting the app store? (screen capture of app world with bbm, and skype next to it...)
if it IS available like you show it is, how do i get it? thanks :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: skype for blackberry playbook

not available with playbook yet, I use https://imo.im/ for the moment

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Paulodactyl
My Device: PlayBook

Hello,
If you wish, try https://imo.im and press the Skype button. After entering your user/pass the application allows Skype direct usage. It's almost good enough for now! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
srsr15

Yep the site does work, thank you both! :smileyhappy: but what I don't understand is, why is RIM showing a screen capture of app world with skype as one of the apps you can download (at 2$99 ... ) when it doesn't even really exist?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

wish we knew why, but it is available for some Verizon smartphones

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
Developer
supraking
My Device: Not Specified

Just because a photo appears somewhere on the internet does NOT mean RIM has said Skype is coming to the PlayBook. For now (and probably forever) Skype will not be coming to the PB, but you can use imo.im as was mentioned or even www.aim.com/av for quick video chats (was confirmed to work with PB).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
srsr15

Yep but this wasn't just somewhere on the internet, but on the bb website showing app world for PB so... False advertising.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

It is misleading, but you should know that marketing departments sometimes create mockups of things to show what's possible, without that ever becoming part of the product. Bad idea on their part, but a fact of life.

Also, it's quite possible they believed at the time that Skype was creating a PB version, maybe even worked with Skype to do so and that's where they got the image. Skype doesn't work for them, however, and if they made a business decision not to release it at this time, that's not something RIM can control.

Again, not a wise decision to put that up, and feel free to contact your appropriate government representative to register a complaint, but the fact of the matter is that Skype has never been available for the PlayBook yet, and if you have a problem with that you need to contact Skype, not RIM.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Visitor
solomchak
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16Gb

When I go into Skype https://imo.im, there is no video image. Clicking on the button Video - the browser closes. What is the problem?
Please use plain text.
bcinnz
My Device: blackberry bold

With no Skype, exceptionally poor consumer interaction regarding lack of voip, RIM is probably going to get swallowed up at super discount, or drift into oblivion. How not to communicate with customers and especially early technology adopters, this RIM has got right. What a pity!
Please use plain text.