Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

My Device: Curve 9220
My Carrier: User and Handphone Salesman Blackberry Counter

Black Berry Protect Back Up BlackBerry Messenger Contact....

hi there , to whom it may  concern

About Black Berry Protect , we can back up contact , text message , ,calender and etc etc ....

I don't think we can back up BlackBerry Messenger Contact right ? As i have done for 2 customer they cannot back up their black berry messenger Contact....Did i mistake or the customer didn't selected first they start up their Black Berry Protect? or black berry protect doesn't back up black berry MESSENGER CONTACT ?

ThAnk

regards

C.N.Yap

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Black Berry Protect Back Up BlackBerry Messenger Contact....

I just checked on my BB BOLD 9900, and the contacts are all located inside the CONTACT of the phone, I can not add any directly into the BBM, but I can make any contact part of the BBM by using the Invite to BBM in the menu, so since the BBM contact are in the CONTACT of the phone they are backed up, but they may need to be re-invited after the restore is completed 

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Solutions: 6,124
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Correct, Protect does not backup your BBMessenger contacts.

For BBMessenger version 7, the contacts are backup over the air using the BlackBerryID email address you've registered.

BBM v6 will allow local backups of your BBM contacts to your media card.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobil

I would like to know how are BBM contacts "backed up over the air" with my BB E-mail address ID that I have provided. Could you tell me where is that link and if it is different than the BB protect? BB protect does not back up BBM contacts which does not make sense at all. It seems to me that BBM users rely on their info as their contacts. Any info that you may provide will be appreciated.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

you can find inforamation in the link behind this discussion:
I have found the troubleshooting guide published by RIM about lost contacts in BBM7 :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/New-BBM-7-Update-Now-Available-Ge...

and yes, BBID will store the BBm contacts (if you use BBM7).

BBProtect cannot store BBM contacts for now, but maybe in the future.

between you and me, I prefer to have my BBM contacts stored in BBID rather than BB Protect. Remember BBProtect is not available for BES phones. Only for BIS phones.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Thank you for posting a respond. Will the address book be backed up with each contacts whole info or just the name and phone? Why not use the desktop software and use it to make sure that everything that you backed up. Is there. I am surprised that my wireless carrier would not know about how to back up over BBID. How do I back up all my contacts over BBID? What other info does it back up? Thanks again
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

for information about what BlackBerry Protect can backup, please read the documentation, especially this section:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/31983/1833978.jsp

My understanding is that contact pictures will not be backed up by the BlackBerry Protect.

About BlackBerry ID, as far as I know the only data that it can today store is :

BBM contacts if you use BBM7

applications installed or deleted (paid and free) in the AppWorld

I do not wish to comment on the knowledge of your carrier helpdesk :smileywink:

If you are concerned about your data, then you MUST do frequent backups using the BlackBerry Desktop software.

My personal point of view about data is :

• the only backup system is the BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • BB ID and BB Protect do no harm

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

delarosae wrote:
Will the address book be backed up with each contacts whole info or just the name and phone?

The entire contact.

delarosae wrote:
 Why not use the desktop software and use it to make sure that everything that you backed up.

You should do this as well, at least weekly by most recommendations.

delarosae wrote:
  How do I back up all my contacts over BBID? What other info does it back up?

You cannot back up all your contacts "over BBID", but you DO you use your BlackBerryID to to login to your BlackBerry Protect account.

Article ID: KB25062 How to use BlackBerry Protect to back up data on a BlackBerry smartphone

Options for types of data to back up
Contacts
Back up all contacts. BlackBerry Protect does not back up contacts that are synchronised with an email account (such as Google Mail or Yahoo! web-based email accounts).
BlackBerry Protect does not back up BlackBerry Messenger contacts, please see http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20554 for steps to backup BlackBerry Messenger contact data.
Calendars - Back up all calendar events.
Memos - Back up all notes from the MemoPad application.
Tasks - Back up all tasks.
Browser Bookmarks - Back up all browser bookmarks
Text messages - Back up all text messages. BlackBerry Protect does not back up any text messages that have attachments.
Password Keeper - Back up the encrypted Password Keeper application database.
Wi-Fi Profiles - Backup all Wi-Fi profiles.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Ever since I have had BBs' I have deepen my knowledge about how they operate. I believe I know my phone pretty well and I am also a self taught person. It is sad that a device cannot provide this type of help and one has to do massive research concerning any major issue such as the b/up of contacts. I guess that I learned today what BBID backs up. The only problem is that under "options" on BBM I do not see anywhere where I can place my BBID and b/up my BBM contacts. I thank you for your thourough information and appreciate your time. I hope it helps others.

delarosae wrote:
 The only problem is that under "options" on BBM I do not see anywhere where I can place my BBID and b/up my BBM contacts. I thank you for your thourough information and appreciate your time. I hope it helps others.

You won't "see" that. It is an automatic backup through BlackBerryID.

Knowledge Base Updates