Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry Protect availability

I want to know the availability of BlackBerry Protect in Pakistan, Will it work in Pakistan??. I have downloaded it on my BB via OTA without App world as App world is unavailable in Pakistan
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BlackBerry Protect availability

To use BlackBerry Protect, your carrier will first authorize you to do so. So get the info at the source, and ask your carrier.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: Warid Tel

I have just confirmed with my carrier and they say "RIM is not offering this serivce in Pakistan". This is very important tool and we are also paying for BB Services and i think as a customer we should have access to everything service including BB Appworld. P.S there are more than 90 Million mobile users in pakistan.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

If this concerns you, be aware that it's not your carrier nor RIM that are responsible for this lack of service, it's the governing body of your country.  There is something with the service that does not sit well with your government so it has decided to block it.

Atleast now you know to whom you have to complain about it.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

No actually still its with RIM. When Rim designed BB's Encryption they didn't come up with master key. Now Govt. had it concerns of not having this services used by terrorists. Now RIM is providing servers access to govts. all over the world for monitory purposes on anonymous basis also by not violating the user agreement on the same time. So govts. now don't have any problem with RIM as they had before. Well i think If BB Protect may be a concern of govt. but what makes BB App World a concern for government ? Now who should i complaint?
Guru I

Dear nabich,

App World contains applications than can provide you with content. That content can be forbidden by your country.

For example a comic strip application that would spread rumors on Pakistan government being involved in hosting terrorists like Ossama Bin Laden.

That kind of content is allowed in AppWorld by RIM, which means that if AppWorld is to be used by Pakistan users, Pakistan officials must have a way to prevent their citizens to access those applications.

This is a feature provided by RIM. Some applications are available in Canada and the US for example (BlackBerry Podcast, because their content could be ruled by music industry majors in the US), some applications are forbidden in France, or in the UK.

But this feature requires people from each country to review every single application on the AppWorld to decide which one to forbid. This requires staff in Pakistan officials. I think you can contact your carrier Warid Tel, but the most appropriate is to contact the Ministry of Information Technology http://www.moitt.gov.pk/ .

If you get some feedback from them, I would ask you to give us some feedback.

Best regards

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look down - Sorry for the double Post.

New Contributor

Dear Xandrex, Thank you for you constructive feedback. I am sure BB wants to dominate Mobile markets all over the globe. My whole point is that in the digital world the concept of controlling the content is pretty easy. Every digital content, app or anything can be moderated. Then what is the problem?

I agree that there are things to be initiated on both ends but the Govt don't give a **bleep** to BB users in Pakistan and i am sure there are other countries like Pakistan where Govts don't like to initiate the harmonization between BB Services & Its policies as Govts. are not the stakeholders. I suggest that blackberry should develop categories in Apps or some rating systems and rating system should comply with the legal framework of the constitution of it maybe religion, political system or anything. So if that comic strip APP doesn't comply with the policy of that country it shall automatically not be available to that region or country. In this way All users over globe get the true BB services for what BB is made for, Because comic strip application may or may not be that important as compared to BB Protect, Appworld & other business tools.

We, users expect these kinds of efforts from BB not from Govts, as Govts all over the world are not the real stakeholders of RIM and BB services. Ultimately Its RIM & BB Consumers. I am sure someone must be representing RIM in Pakistan, but i'll try to contact our ministry to dig it out more - But as i said things has to be initiated on both ends. Thank you.

Guru I

nabilch wrote:

My whole point is that in the digital world the concept of controlling the content is pretty easy. Every digital content, app or anything can be moderated. Then what is the problem?

this mechanism already exists, as you can see in the examples I gave you. The main issue here is that there needs to be moderators. Those moderators are not RIM employees, they are Pakistani people mandated by the government or the Pakistani carriers.

Are there enough of those people to do that job? There are currently thousands of applications available on the AppWorld, and several dozen arriving daily.

Apple unilaterally decide what application is suitable for the AppStore. Whatever the country and the local regulations. And then if a country complains, they contact Apple Corp and have the application removed.

RIM works differently. No application is banned by RIM (except those that can harm the device on which it is installed, or that blatantly achieve mischief), and it is the duty of each country to allow or refuse every single application. This may be cumbersome at first (how to catch up with all the existing apps?), but it is better for the long term.

So RIM is awaiting your officials to act. Because RIM has already done their part of the deal.